Summer School Info

Students should first review our FAQs page for answers to commonly asked questions about summer school as they may not be answered here.



If you are going to Summer School at home (community college or other 4 year institution) you must fill out a permission form with ECU first. Go to the Registrar's Office website:; click "Forms" on the left-hand menu; click "Permission to Take Courses at a US College or University." *Note: Directions for submission are located on the form. This form should be submitted before a student enrolls in courses at another institution. Use the 'Course Equivalencies' tool to determine courses at other institution that will transfer back to ECU as a specific course you need. In order for the course to apply as transfer credit here at ECU, students must make a grade of C or higher and ask the other institution to send their final transcripts to ECU's Registrar's Office.

  • Any student NOT enrolled for one or more (fall or spring) semesters on the main campus of the university must apply for readmission. Applications for readmission and submission deadlines are available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at Readmission to the university does not guarantee readmission to individual academic programs. Students who have been enrolled at another college or university since their last enrollment at East Carolina University must submit to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions official transcripts indicating that a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale has been earned on all transferable courses attempted.


You will register for summer classes the same way and same time as fall classes - you may select to attend summer session 1, summer session 2, and/or 11 week summer session. The 11 week session spans the entire time of both summer sessions 1 and 2. Students may register for a course in the 11 week session and courses in both summer 1 and 2 - however, they must adhere to credit maximums for summer sessions 1 and 2 (up to 7 hours). FOR EXAMPLE if a student took a 3 credit course during the 11 week summer session, s/he would only be able to take 4 hours in addition both summer sessions 1 and 2. Review the University Academic Calendar for important summer dates. More Summer School information can be found here:



To get financial aid for the summer you need to do the following: