PhD Admission Criteria
To be considered for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy in Bioenergetics and Exercise Science, a student must present the following:
- A grade point average of 2.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate work or a grade point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale in either the undergraduate major work or work taken during the senior year.
- A masters degree with some formal classwork or training in the field of bioenergetics or a related field from an accredited institution is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with strong science backgrounds who have integrated coursework and research. Candidates who have demonstrated research capabilities as demonstrated by presentations and/or publications will be strongly considered.
- Acceptable combined score (i.e., verbal, analytical and quantitative) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- An essay describing the applicant's career goals and research interests which are consistent with the educational opportunities offered in the Bioenergetics program.
- Three letter of reference from persons who can attest to the applicant's academic competence and potential for doctoral-level work.
- Students whose first language is not English, a minimum acceptable score on the Test of English As A Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Students will be expected to have a background needed to fulfill the prerequisites for the graduate courses required in the program. For the exercise science and physiology cores, prerequisites include a course in exercise physiology and a course in human physiology or general biology at either the graduate or undergraduate level. If these prerequisites have not been met, then admitted students will be required to take classes to address the deficiency prior to attending core classes where this background knowledge is a prerequisite. The semester hours taken to remedy deficiencies will not be counted in the required semester hours for graduation.
Acceptance is subject to availability of student slots in the program