The RCLS Professional Society was formed in 1983 and is celebrating its 30th year this year! What a milestone! While it is called a Professional Society, it is an affiliate of the ECU Alumni Association. An active, passionate, and committed board of directors and elected officers govern this group.
The primary goal of the Society is to promote the profession of recreation and leisure services and the interests of the Recreation and Leisure Studies program at ECU. You can become an Active Member, which is available for anyone who has successfully completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree, master's degree, or minor from the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies at East Carolina University. Associate Membership is available to members of the Recreation and Leisure Studies faculty and other graduates as interested, but not eligible for active membership. The Society also awards an Honorary Membership for extraordinary services to the recreation and leisure services profession. Members of the Board of Directors are elected to serve 3-year terms; officer positions include Past-President, President, President-Elect, and Secretary-Treasurer. View current Professional Society officers and board members. The Board meets twice a year in Greenville — one on the second Monday in February, and the other on the second Monday in September. View the Society's Constitution.
- Hosting a golf tournament
- Creating scholarships for students and helping to select awardees
- Mentoring current students
- Serving as host sites for student interns
- Purchased a bench for use on the RCLS Belk Building patio
- Assisting with national accreditation processes
- Helped to staff the exhibit booth at conferences
- Served as ambassadors and recruiters to the undergraduate and graduate programs
- Helped to create and support the Ralph Steele Lecture Series
- Provided monetary support for student travel to professional conferences
- Honoring graduates with an Outstanding Alumni Award
If you would like to get involved with the RCLS Professional Society, please contact any member of the Board. Current officers include: