Microsoft support for Windows XP ended in 2014, and no further security updates will be released by Microsoft. Therefore, to protect ECU network resources, Windows XP users only have access to the Internet and resources like Blackboard but no access to internal ECU resources.
Students can visit the Microsoft4students website for a FREE operating system upgrade (Windows 7, 8.1 or 10). Need help? Visit the Pirate Techs location nearest you for assistance.
Faculty and staff should visit the Dowdy Student Bookstore to purchase an updated OS at educational pricing for a personal computer. Users whose campus computer is using Windows XP should submit an IT Help Desk ticket to have their OS upgraded.
Click a category for more information
Students living in residence halls connect to the Campus-Living network through either WiFi (wireless) or Ethernet cable (wired).
Check email, surf the Web and access secure resources like personal Piratedrive folders or campus printers using this network. PirateID/passphrase required.
1) Enable the device’s WiFi (Settings), 2) Choose Campus-Living, 3) Authenticate with your PirateID/passphrase, 4) Accept the certificate from the Policy Service Node (iPhone), and 5) Open a browser to check the connection.
Need Help? See one of these printable pdf documents:Connect Android | Connect iPad | Connect iPhone | Connect Mac
Before joining the Campus-Living network, systems must meet the following criteria:
- Supported antivirus program installed and up to date (Windows).
Symantec (free from the ECU Download Center) or McAffee, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky.
If installing a new antivirus program, be sure to uninstall any others first. It is recommended, but not required, that Macs install antivirus.
- Supported operating system installed and up to date.
Mac – OS X 10.6.8 or above
Windows – Windows XP and above with all critical updates installed
- The latest Cisco Network Access Control (NAC) Agent is installed (Windows).
Uninstall any older NAC software; the latest version is required and can be downloaded from the ECU Download Center. Macs are not required to install the NAC agent at this time.
- Linux systems are exempt from this process
- Wireless routers and gaming systems will not work on the Campus-Living network, wired or wireless.
*Connecting through an Ethernet cable? See these instructions.