Connect to Campus Living - Wired
Students living in residence halls connect to the CampusLiving network through either WiFi (wireless) or Ethernet cable (wired).
Check email, surf the Web and access secure resources like personal Piratedrive folders or campus printers using this network. PirateID/passphrase required.
Prepare Your Laptop/Desktop Before Move-in
Make connecting a snap on move-in day by following these steps BEFORE plugging in.
Update your antivirus software.
ECU-supported antivirus software includes Symantec (ECU Download Center), McAffee, Sophos, Trend Micro and Kaspersky. Before you update, uninstall any other antivirus programs first.
Update your operating system and install critical updates.
Check to see if your current operating system is supported. Windows users can download the latest OS for free at http://www.ecu.edu/microsoft4students/!
- Mac - OS X 10.6.8 and above
- Windows - XP and above
Install the latest Cisco Network Access Control (NAC) Agent.
Uninstall any version of the NAC client from your computer and download the latest version from http://download.ecu.edu.
Linux systems are exempt from this process.
See the step-by-step instructions below or print this pdf instruction document.
Connect to the ECU Campus Living Network
- Plug the Ethernet cable (you purchase) into the network port.
- Turn on the system and open a browser. The Connect2ECU authentication page opens.
- Log in using your PirateID and passphrase.
- If you completed Steps 1, 2 and 3 beforehand, the Cisco NAC agent checks for updated antivirus and operating system.
- If you need to complete a preliminary step, follow the prompts.
- Once all security criteria are met, you will have access to ECU resources and the Internet.
Download Symantec Antivirus, Windows Critical Updates and Cisco NAC
Symantec Antivirus (Windows and Mac) - on campus or off campus
Other supported antivirus software: McAffe, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky
- Navigate to http://download.ecu.edu.
- Click the Self-Service Forms button in the gold menu bar.
- Click the Symantec Endpoint Request link to open the form. Complete all fields in the request and agree to the Symantec Terms and Conditions. Click OK to submit.
- The Important Information screen opens. Click the Return Home button.
- Click the Antivirus and Security graphic (top left box).
- Read the Terms and Conditions and then click the I Agree button to continue.
- Choose the Symantec Endpoint link.
- Click the correct version of Symantec Endpoint AntiVirus (32-bit/64-bit for Windows or Mac). You'll be prompted to save the file. How can I tell if my computer is 32-bit or 65-bit?
- Follow the prompts to install the program.
- After installation, Symantec automatically runs a Live Update.
Critical Updates (Windows) - on campus or off campus
Acceptable Windows OS: XP, Vista, Win 7 and 8
- Click START >> Programs (or All Programs) and choose Windows Update.
- Follow any prompts to install.
- Reboot your system to finish the installation.
- Check Windows Updates once again to ensure that all available updates have been installed.
Cisco NAC Agent (Windows and Mac) - on campus only
Latest version required!
- While on campus, navigate to http://download.ecu.edu.
- Click the Antivirus and Security graphic (top left) and agree to the user Terms and Conditions.
- Click the Cisco NAC Agent to open the folder.
- Choose the appropriate version and save the file to your computer.
- After the download completes, double-click the Cisco NAC icon and follow the prompts to install the program.