Connect to Campus-Living - Wired
Students living in residence halls connect to the Campus-Living network through either WiFi (wireless) or Ethernet cable (wired).
Check email, surf the Web and access secure resources like personal Piratedrive folders or campus printers using this network. PirateID/passphrase required. Windows systems also require the Cisco NAC agent software.
Prepare Your Laptop/Desktop Before Move-in
Make connecting a snap on move-in day by following these steps BEFORE plugging in.
- Update antivirus software (Windows/Mac).
ECU-supported antivirus software includes Symantec (ECU Download Center) or McAffee, Sophos, Trend Micro and Kaspersky. Before you update, uninstall any other antivirus programs first. It is recommended that Mac users install antivirus software, but it is not a requirement at this time.
- Update your operating system and install critical updates (Windows).
Check to see if your current operating system is supported. Windows users can download the latest OS for free at http://www.ecu.edu/microsoft4students/!
- Mac - OS X 10.6.8 and above
- Windows - XP and above
- Configure 802.1x authentication (Windows). Choose your operating system:
- Install the latest Cisco Network Access Control (NAC) Agent (Windows).
Uninstall any version of the NAC client from your computer and download the latest version from http://download.ecu.edu. Mac systems are not required to install the NAC agent at this time.
- Linux systems are exempt from this process.
- See the step-by-step instructions below or print the pdf instruction document.
Connect to the ECU Campus-Living Network
- Plug the Ethernet cable (you purchase) into the network port.
- Turn on the system and open a browser. The Connect2ECU authentication page opens.
- Log in using your PirateID and passphrase.
- Depending upon your system's OS and configuration, follow all prompts. This process completes much faster if the steps above are completed.
Download Symantec Antivirus, Windows Critical Updates and Cisco NAC
Symantec Antivirus (Windows and Mac) - free download on or off campus
Other supported antivirus software: McAffe, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky - antivirus recommended but not required for Mac
- Navigate to http://download.ecu.edu.
- Click the Self-Service Forms button in the gold menu bar.
- Click the Symantec Endpoint Request link to open the form. Complete all fields in the request and agree to the Symantec Terms and Conditions. Click OK to submit.
- The Important Information screen opens. Click the Return Home button.
- Click the Antivirus and Security graphic (top left box).
- Read the Terms and Conditions and then click the I Agree button to continue.
- Choose the Symantec Endpoint link.
- Click the correct version of Symantec Endpoint AntiVirus (32-bit/64-bit for Windows or Mac). You'll be prompted to save the file. How can I tell if my computer is 32-bit or 65-bit?
- Follow the prompts to install the program.
- After installation, Symantec automatically runs a Live Update.
Critical Updates (Windows) - on campus or off campus
Acceptable Windows OS: XP, Vista, Win 7 and 8
- Click START >> Programs (or All Programs) and choose Windows Update.
- Follow any prompts to install.
- Reboot your system to finish the installation.
- Run Windows Updates once again to ensure that all available updates have been installed.
Cisco NAC Agent (Windows) - on campus only
Latest version required! Uninstall older version on your Windows system first. Not required for Mac
- While on campus, navigate to http://download.ecu.edu.
- Click the Antivirus and Security graphic (top left) and agree to the user Terms and Conditions.
- Click the Cisco NAC Agent to open the folder.
- Choose the appropriate version and save the file to your computer.
- After the download completes, double-click the Cisco NAC icon and follow the prompts to install the program.