Virtual Private Network
Off Campus Access for Students
Students can securely connect to their ECU network resources by setting up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) using Cisco AnyConnect software.
A VPN acts as a secure "tunnel" through which users connect to a campus computer, Piratedrive folder or department Piratedrive folder while off campus without worrying about data being illegally intercepted during transmission.
Students required to complete class assignments using Remote Desktop (RDP) or Secure Shell (SSH) must establish a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection using Cisco Anytime Connect software.
Students also access their Piratedrive storage folder off campus using a VPN connection.
- Log in to https://piratesvpn.ecu.edu
The Cisco AnyConnect software automatically checks system settings and installs. Once installed, software updates for Cisco AnyConnect are automatic.
Mobile users should download and install the AnyConnect app from their appropriate store. The Android OS is NOT supported at this time.
- After setup, subsequent remote sessions are established using the Secure VPN icon menu in the taskbar. Mobile devices connect through the app.
Open a VPN session:
|Windows Access||Mac VPN Access||iPad VPN Access|
Operating systems: Mac OS X Leopard (v. 10.5) up to OS X Lion (v. 10.7), Windows XP, Vista and 7 (64- and 32-bit) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Connect to a Piratedrive folder:
|Mac OS X||Windows 7||Windows XP|
Mobile users download the AnyConnect app from the app store for their device. Android OS is NOT currently supported. Windows Mobile users connect by logging in to the Remote Access login
Keep the Following in Mind:
- Test your connection while still on campus.
- Once connected, all ECU computing policies apply.
- ITCS can only suggest configuration changes to a personal system.
- ITCS cannot troubleshoot non-ECU equipment/networks such as WiFi, your home network or your Internet Service Provider (ISP)'s connection.