File-sharing traffic is blocked on all three networks. If you have an academic or administrative need to use BitTorrent, uTorrent, Vuze or other file-sharing application, please submit a Peer-to-Peer File Sharing exception form found at ithelp.ecu.edu (Governance & Compliance >> Peer-to-Peer File Sharing). For more information, see the file sharing page.
Check email, surf the Web and access on-campus resources like personal or department Piratedrive folders, Banner INB resources and other secure systems. All devices require a PirateID/passphrase. No guest access.
1) Enable the device's WiFi (Settings), 2) Choose Buccaneer, 3) Authenticate with PirateID/passphrase, 4) Accept the certificate from the Policy Service Node (iPhone/iPad), and 5) Open a browser to check the connection.
Users are not required to install Cisco NAC Agent on tablets or smartphones at this time.
ECU laptops join the Buccaneer wireless network by default. PirateID/passphrase required. No guest access.
Cisco NAC Agent is installed on all ECU-purchased Windows laptops.
- Supported antivirus program installed and up to date (Windows and Mac*).
Symantec (free from the ECU Download Center) or McAffee, Sophos, Trend Micro, Kaspersky. If installing a new antivirus program, be sure to uninstall any others first. *While not required, it is recommended that Macs have antivirus installed.
- Supported operating system installed and up to date.
- Mac - OS X 10.6.8 or above
- Windows - Windows Vista or above with all critical updates installed
- The latest Cisco Network Access Control (NAC) Agent installed (Windows).
Uninstall any older NAC software; the latest version is required and can be downloaded from the ECU Download Center. Macs are not required to have the NAC agent software installed.
Another option for a personal Windows laptop is to set Buccaneer as the default network using the Non-Intra Instructions (recommended) or the Intel PROSet wireless connection client instructions.
- Linux systems are exempt from this process.
This is not the recommended method for managing WiFi networks. Remember that the passphrase for the PROSet wireless configuration must be updated whenever the PirateID passphrase is changed (after the passphrase is changed but before the laptop is shut down).
Both wired and wireless access. Check email, surf the Web and access secure resources like personal Piratedrive folders or campus printers. All devices require a PirateID/passphrase. Cisco NAC software required for Windows systems but not a requirement for Macs at this time. No guest access. See the Campus Living page for more information.
General purpose; good for surfing the Web, checking email, Blackboard and Pirate Port. PirateID/passphrase or guest account login required. Cisco NAC software not required.
Guests connecting to the Pirates network can follow these instructions.
1) Enable the device's WiFi, 2) Choose the Pirates network, and 3) Open a browser to check the connection.
Join the Pirates network through the Connect2ECU web page without a PirateID/passphrase.
ECU laptops are configured to automatically join the Buccaneer network, but the Pirates network is also accessible.