East Carolina University is committed to providing accessible technology and educational resources. Computer labs, learning platforms, web pages, multimedia content and applications should be accessible to everyone including individuals with disabilities. ECU works to comply with accessibility standards to enable all users to fully participate. By establishing an accessibility and compliance program and keeping up to date with current trends in educational technology, learning platforms and web development, East Carolina University is addressing the needs of all students and ensuring access.
A university IT Accessibility Committee is charged with advising the campus on IT accessibility. The overarching goal of the committee is to provide governance on information technology accessibility and to establish and review annual goals that promote equitable access for all faculty, staff and students to technology and information. This committee includes representation across key areas of the campus community to review the state of information technology accessibility at ECU. This committee meets quarterly.
For guidelines and support to help you create accessible content based on Web Content Accessible Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 - Level AA standards, the following services and resources are available.
- Course Review: An IT accessibility coordinator can review your Blackboard course for accessibility. The course accessibility review process uses a checklist (Accessible Content Checklist) to help you identify and ensure your content is accessible to users using a screen reader, keyboard-only access, voice input and enlargement software. Request an IT Accessibility Consultation by submitting this form.
- Website Review: We can help you identify broken links, misspellings and accessibility issues on your university website. We use a tool called, Siteimprove, which assists owners in maintaining the high quality and usability of the ECU website. Submit the Siteimprove report form to request a monthly or bi-monthly pdf report for your website or blog.
- Existing Software Review: We provide consultation services to review your existing, implemented, in-use software system, and we will review your application(s) based on WCAG 2.0 - Level AA standards. The review process identifies accessibility issues and checks for compatibility issues with keyboard-only access, voice input, screen reader and enlargement software.
- New Software Purchase Review: We can review your software purchase for accessibility based on WCAG 2.0 - Level AA standards. The review process identifies accessibility issues and checks for compatibility with keyboard-only access, voice input, screen reader and enlargement software. For more information, explore process details including exemptions and exceptions, evaluation criteria, alternative action plans and how to assess a vendor's tool using a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT). For assistance, submit an IT Accessibility Review service request.
- General IT Accessibility: Contact the IT Accessibility Consultant for general IT Accessibility questions such as, "How do I create accessible Microsoft Word documents?" by submitting an IT Accessibility Consultation request through the IT service request system.