Is Your PassPhrase Strong?
Type your passphrase into the text box above to test its security and strength.
User passphrases at ECU are 8 characters and must contain 3 of the 4 categories below.
- Upper case letter
- Lower case letter
- Numbers and
- Special character (e.g., !, @, #, *, ?)
Create a Strong Passphrase Using This Trick:
- Select a sentence that has meaning only to you.
- Use the first letter of each word in that sentence
- Add capitalization, numbers and special characters to make the passphrase something unique.
- When you wish to remember your new passphrase, repeat the sentence and it should be easier to remember the numbers and characters you used.
- Do not select phrases nor use whole words that are common to everyone. (Go@Pirates!) for example.
- The more random the passphrase, the more secure it is
Examples (don't use!)
Sentence: Is Econ 220 being offered this semester? = IE2bots? (random capital letters and a question mark make this secure)
Sentence: Only three more weeks until vacation time! = O3mwuVt! (replacing the word, "three" with the number, "3")
For more passphrase information, visit the passphrase resources page.