Telecommunications Home

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon

Telephone Service at ECU

Currently, ECU's campus telephone system uses two different voice technologies. Main campus uses the Voice over IP system from Cisco. The Health Sciences campus is transitioning to Cisco VoIP, but many offices are still using the Nortel PBX system.

Cisco Voice over IP (VoIP) System

Request a new extension number, telephone equipment or report a problem

Submit an online IT Help Desk service request or call 252.328.9866. Routine service not requiring special-order equipment is usually provided within three (3) weeks of the request.

Request a project: engineering, wiring, multiple port installation

Submit either the BSOM IT Project Proposal or the IT Project Request form in the online IT Help Desk service request system. Departments are not authorized to make direct contact or commitments with the telephone company or other vendors for telephone services. See the Voice Services page for equipment and services pricing estimates.

Any network services equipment connected to the campus telephone system must be authorized by the Director of Infrastructure Services.

Nortel PBX System - Health Sciences Campus

The Health Sciences campus is transitioning from the traditional PBX telephone system currently provided by Nortel to the VoIP system. Users should submit an online IT Help Desk service request or call 252.328.9866 to report a problem or request a service.

Features and instructions for Nortel telephones:


Elevator/Blue Light Emergency Phones

Elevator and Blue Light emergency telephones on campus automatically ring to the 911 switchboard at the ECU Police Department.

For local emergency numbers, see the Quick Reference numbers list.

Harassing Telephone Calls

Contact campus police at 252.328.6787 (Main) or 252.744.2246 (Health Sciences) to report harassing or threatening calls.

Residence halls can also contact the residence hall coordinator for assistance.

Private Telephones

Upon written request, a private telephone separate from the university's telephone system can be authorized by Network Services for the special needs of individuals. The requesting individual assumes full financial responsibility for the telephone.

Student Organizations

Student organizations whose funds are controlled by the Student Fund Accounting Office request telecommunications services the same as a campus department.

Vidant Medical Center Offices

ECU departments housed in the Vidant Medical Center facility should submit telephone service requests through the hospital's business office.

back to the top

Contact US

Give To East Carolina University