Dear Web Content Owners,
As an owner of content available via a website on the ecu.edu domain, this email acts as a reminder of the responsibilities associated with using these services. Following are the responsibilities and the terms and conditions for your review. By using these services, you are agreeing to adhere to the terms and conditions listed here.
See these responsibilities and restrictions concerning content updates, data collection, sensitive information and forms.
It is the responsibility of all parties storing materials on websites with an ECU domain address to ensure that such material is lawfully used and does not violate applicable ECU policies. Website owners are responsible for all content in their directory/subsites and any subdirectories/subsites including:
- ADA adherence
- copyright compliance
- freshness of content
- appropriateness of content
- password protection of content, where applicable
- approval of the access or storage of any data considered sensitive and the encryption of sensitive data
- removal of old content
Restrictions apply where applicable. The administrators' group must not be modified or removed from the Web directory permissions. If the administrators' group is removed, server administrators will automatically return the permissions to full control and remove individual permissions. Full administrator control for the administrators' group is necessary to execute application security software.
- Only content/files related to the website will be stored in Web space.
- Data collection forms require compliance with OWASP security standards.
- Sensitive data is not to be stored on the Web server in any format UNLESS you have explicit permission from IT Security.
- Protected health information or HIPAA must not to be stored on the Web server.
- Sensitive data is not to be collected without permission from IT Security. If sensitive data needs to be collected, users need to contact IT Security for information on available resources and best practices.
- Media content/files recorded by ECU constituents must follow the Media Release Consent Guidelines
- Access databases are not acceptable data sources. MS SQL database space is available upon request.
- Copyrighted material must not to be stored on the Web server. For more information, visit ECU's copyright guidelines.
- Illegal file sharing is prohibited. For more information, visit the ECU's File Sharing Rules site.
Minimum Page RequirementsReviewed by Web Oversight Committee on 1/14/2015
All official university Web pages are required to be hosted on university-approved resources and services and follow the minimum requirements established to promote consistency and quality.* According to ECU's Web Regulation:"Official university Web pages include the East Carolina University home page (www.ecu.edu); academic department and program pages; office, administrative, and support unit pages; news and information pages; and any other World Wide Web address that is otherwise sponsored or endorsed or created on authority of a University Department or Administrative Unit; including course pages residing outside the secure course management system."
In other words, if it includes or otherwise represents East Carolina University in an official capacity, the wordmark, logo or any approved type treatment or mark of the university, it must adhere to these standards.
*Note that these requirements are subject to periodic change.
A reference to East Carolina University must appear in the top left corner of each Web page and link back to www.ecu.edu. The wordmark as shown on the ECU homepage is preferred. However, if deviation from this wordmark is necessary, then follow the branding guidelines.
- Page background color should ECU purple, white or grey
- The width of the content area on the page should not exceed the current ECU homepage. Background color should be white with grey scale font color no lighter than #666666
- The name of the unit should be prominently displayed
- If a menu system is present, it should pertain to your unit, not a replication of the menu for the top site
- ADA compliance is required
EfficiencyWeb pages should download quickly and efficiently. Divide large documents into smaller documents. Optimize graphics for rapid loading across typical network connection speeds.
PhotosUse of university-related photos is encouraged.
Web Accessibility Standards
- Video - Closed Captioning
- Archive - DOJ
Responsive Layout, Mobile Friendly
- Data collection, storage, display
- Sensitive data
- Development rules
- OWASP security
- Business Continuity
- Opt-out: if you collect & share, you must provide an opt out on form
- Any content stored greater than two (2) years must be approved by the Registrar.
- Any storage of videos, specifically those associated with K-12 students must use the ECU Attorney's approved process and forms. You are required to ensure this process is followed.
- Videos require release forms signed by the parents of the K-12 students.
- Videos of ECU students require a release form from the ECU students.
- It is the responsibility of the directory owner to maintain all forms.
- Videos must be password protected using the ECU pirateid and not publicly available.
- Copyrighted material or any information that is deemed sensitive in nature should not be stored on Web servers.
- Videos must be streamed and not downloaded. Streaming is available on winmedia.ecu.edu.
- Web servers are not for protected health information, HIPAA or any video content that could be considered personally damaging to someone.
- Any violation of these rules could be violating FERPA regulations and be subject to the consequences of that law.
- Web Policy: http://www.ecu.edu/PRR/08/05/06
- ECU Copyright Policy: http://libguides.ecu.edu/copyright
- Sensitive Data Guidelines: http://www.ecu.edu/itcs/itsecurity/sensitive-data.cfm
- Video Guidelines and Consent Form: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-itcs/policies/upload/VideoGuidelines.pdf
- Illegal File Sharing: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-itcs/itsecurity/Filesharing.cfm
- Accessibility: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-itcs/webpublishing/accessibility.cfm
- Web Publishing: http://www.ecu.edu/itcs/webpublishing.cfm