Standards for Web Space
Terms & Conditions
Consistent with the East Carolina University Web Content Policy, the authors of Official University Web Pages and Unofficial Pages represent East Carolina University in that all aspects of these pages comply with applicable state and federal law (including, but not limited to copyright, patent and trademark), ECU policy, and the policy of the University of North Carolina. East Carolina University reserves the right to modify and/or delete Web pages/Web content without notice. Basis for such modification/deletion includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Out-of-date content;
- IT resource use concerns;
- IT security concerns;
- The Web page and/or its content is in violation of law or university policy
We are in the process of updating our Web Regulation governing ECU Web pages. It is proposed that all Web pages in the ecu.edu domain be ADA compliant. In anticipation of the approval of this Web regulation, please visit Web Publishing: Accessibility for more information on how to ensure that your web page is ADA compliant.
It is the responsibility of all parties storing materials on websites with an ECU domain address to ensure that such material is lawfully used and does not violate applicable ECU computer policies. Website owners are responsible for all content in their directory/subsites and any subdirectories/subsites including:
- freshness of content
- appropriateness of content
- password protection of content, where applicable
- approval of the access or storage of any data considered sensitive and the encryption of sensitive data
- removal of old content
The administrators’ group must not be modified or removed from the Web directory permissions. If the administrators’ group is removed, server administrators will automatically return the permissions to full control and remove individual permissions. Full administrator control for the administrators’ group is necessary to execute application security software.
- Only content/files related to the website should be stored in Web space.
- Data collection forms require input validation.
- Sensitive data is not to be stored on the Web server in any format UNLESS you have explicit permission from IT Security.
- Sensitive data is not to be collected without permission from IT Security. If sensitive data needs to be collected, users need to contact IT Security for information on available resources and best practices.
- Media content/files recorded by ECU constituents must follow the Media Release Consent Guidelines
- Access databases are not acceptable data sources. MS SQL database space is available upon request.
- Protected health information or HIPAA must not to be stored on the Web server.
- Copyrighted material must not to be stored on the Web server. For more information, visit ECU’s copyright guidelines.
- Illegal file sharing is prohibited. For more information, visit the ECU’s File Sharing Rules site.
Faculty storing student information or assignments:
- Any content stored greater than two (2) years must be approved by the Registrar.
- Any storage of videos, specifically those associated with K-12 students must use the ECU Attorney’s approved process and forms. You are required to ensure this process is followed.
- Videos require release forms signed by the parents of the K-12 students.
- Videos of ECU students require a release form from the ECU students.
- It is the responsibility of the directory owner to maintain all forms.
- Videos must be password protected using the ECU pirateid and not publicly available.
- Copyrighted material or any information that is deemed sensitive in nature should not be stored on Web servers.
- Videos must be streamed and not downloaded. Streaming is available on winmedia.ecu.edu.
- Web servers are not for protected health information, HIPAA or any video content that could be considered personally damaging to someone.
- Any violation of these rules could be violating FERPA regulations and be subject to the consequences of that law.
For information on Web policies and guidelines, visit the links below:
back to the top