The Place Hold service allows you to ask library staff to pull items from the library's shelves and hold them at the circulation desk for you to pickup and allows you to be added to a waiting list to be notified when a checked out item is returned.
The retrieval service allows you to request items housed in Joyner Library and the Music Library from your home or office using the library's catalog and then within 24-48 hours pick them up at either library. For details on this exciting service, including restrictions on eligibility and materials, please read the sections below and/or click on the links to text instructions or the video tutorial.
Place Hold Instructions with Screenshots
Place Hold Tutorial Video
- ECU students, faculty, staff, and anyone with a Joyner Library borrower card may use this service.
- Distance Education students living outside Pitt County should request materials via Joyner's Document Delivery service.
- Pulled materials will be held for you three days. After three days, the materials will be placed back on the shelves for others to check out.
Checked Out Items
- Materials with a due date in the Location field in the catalog record will have a hold placed on them for you. You will be notified when the item has been returned, sometimes weeks to months later.
- ECU students, faculty, and staff who need a title sooner than that may place a Recall Request to have them item recalled from the person who currently has it for your use. All ECU students, faculty, and staff are guaranteed at least one full checkout period for the item or 28 days, whichever is less, so even with a recall you might have to wait days or weeks.
- ECU students, faculty, and staff may also request an interlibrary loan for titles. This asks Joyner Library to ask other libraries to lend us their copy of the title for you to borrow. For details on interlibrary loan, visit the Interlibrary Loan service webpage.
Material & Collection Restrictions
- Some library materials are not eligible for the Place Hold service, including those in Reference, Microforms, Current Periodicals, Manuscripts and Rare Books, University Archives, and most other non-circulating materials. If you need to consult these materials and do not know where they are in the library, please ask for assistance at any of the library's service desks.
- Materials owned by W. E. Laupus Health Sciences Library should be requested via Interlibrary Loan, or you can visit Laupus Library to consult and check out materials there.
Order of Request Processing
- There might be times when multiple patrons ask for the same titles through the Place Hold service. In such cases, the request received first will be the one fulfilled -- unless one of the requests is by a professor asking that the title be placed on Reserve.
Time Required / Rush Processing
- Place Hold requests will usually be available for pickup within 24-48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Staff and student employee absences or other library priorities may delay the fulfillment, though.
- If you have selected for items to be delivered between the Music Library and Joyner Library or vice versa, your requested items might be delayed by an additional day.
- You will be notified by e-mail when your requests have been pulled and are available for pick up at the library.
- Unfortunately, rush requests are not accepted. If you need an item quickly and need assistance locating it in a library, please ask for assistance at any of the library's service desks.
- The Place Hold service is currently free.
- Standard overdue fees will apply to any materials not returned or renewed by the due date.
- Titles will be checked out to your Joyner Library borrowing account when you pick them up. Your due date is determined by your library status (undergraduate student, graduate student, staff member, faculty member, etc.). For more information, consult the Circulation policy.
- Place Hold requests may be cancelled by library staff for a variety of reasons. Contact the Circulation Desk if you have a question about a cancellation notice.
- Questions about the Place Hold service should be directed to Circulation at firstname.lastname@example.org and 252-328-6518.
- The Music Library staff can also help you. Visit the Music Library website for hours and contact information.