Plan a Visit to Our Special Collections
The Special Collections Division is divided into four departments.
- Manuscripts and Rare Books is the home to the East Carolina Manuscript Collection, the Rare Book Collection, the Hoover Collection on International Communism, and the James H. and Virginia Schlobin Literature of the Fantastic Collection.
- North Carolina Collection is one of the state's major repositories dedicated to the study of North Carolina, its culture, and its people, and is the only one to emphasize the eastern region of the state.
- University Archives appraises, preserves, and makes accessible historical records concerning all aspects of East Carolina University’s past. University Archives serves the university community by acting as a final, central repository for items related to the administrative, academic, legal, fiscal, social, and cultural interactions of the individuals, departments, and programs present on campus since 1907.
Note: University Archives material must be requested two business days in advance.
- Digital Collections is your gateway to thousands of images, texts, and recordings from the Joyner Library's rich holdings. Digital Collections includes digitized materials from collections in the Special Collections Division and the Laupus Medical History collections.
Finding Special Collections
The four departments in the Special Collections Division share a single service point, which is located on the third Floor of Joyner Library's "Drum" section. At the single service point, members of Special Collections will help you request to special collections materials, which can be viewed in the Special Collections Research Room.
Directions to Joyner Library
Using the Research Room
Because of the unique and valuable nature of our materials, we ask that you observe the following policies when using materials in the Special Collections Research Room. This will ensure that these materials will be around for years to come.
- Personal Belongings: When using the Research Room, we ask that you please store all personal belongings (other than your laptop, cell phone, research notes, and sheets of paper) in the lockers located in our department. If you have any problems with your locker, please ask a staff member for assistance.
- Writing Utensils: Please refrain from using ink pens during your visit. We will provide pencils for you to use.
- One at a Time: Manuscripts and Rare Books must be used in the Reading Room. Researchers may have access to one box at a time and must preserve the original arrangement of collections.
- Handle with Care: You may be asked to wear gloves when handling rare books or any photographic materials that are not in protective sleeves. Please keep documents flat on the table and practice extreme care in handling them.
Registering to Use Collections
In order to use our materials, patrons will need to register for our Aeon system. You can register before visiting our department, or you can register on site. By registering online prior to visiting, patrons will be able to request material in advance, manage their personal information at any time, and keep track of their requests.
Register with Aeon
If you are an ECU faculty member and would like a Special Collections librarian to lead an instruction session for your class, please use our instruction scheduler.
Schedule an Instruction Session
Photocopies and Scans
The Manuscripts and Rare Books staff provides as a service a minimum amount of reproductions and/or scans of material. For detailed information about our reproduction policies, please see Copying and Permissions.
We encourage you to use your cell phone or digital camera to take photographs of our materials.
We are here to help! If you have a question, or if you would like to schedule a research consultation, please contact us using the information below: