Develop a Network
It is estimated that over 80% of jobs are never formally advertised; they are filled by word of mouth, which means having a network of contacts is key to locating those jobs that are in the “hidden” job market. Networking is about building relationships and is a key part of successfully landing an internship, CO-OP, part-time, or full-time opportunity.
Click the Career Resource Guide links below to get detailed information on networking including:
• What is Networking
• Informational Interviewing
• Use Social Media to Network and Find a Job
• Develop Your Power Greeting
Pirate Alumni NEW Online Community
meet fellow alumni in your field and profession that could be
beneficial in your career path. The ECU Alumni network is strong and
vast, and our new alumni portal makes it easier than ever!
Mentoring & Career Advice
advice along your career journey by searching the new directory for
people who’ve indicated they are “willing to help” by being a mentor.
Pay it forward by checking this setting in your own profile!
one knows the value of a ECU education better than ECU graduates, so
our alumni want to hire their fellow alumni. Log into ECU Connect to
find jobs posted by alumni or to post your own openings.
Resources & Connections
- ECU Connect serves as a resource for opportunities, events, and professional development.
For questions regarding ECU Connect and programs specific to ECU Alumni, visit the East Carolina Alumni Association at: www.piratealumni.com
- LinkedIn now offers a new job search page with rich insight of organization information and a preview of the team you might be working with
- The jobs homepage utilizes customized recommendations and content from your LinkedIn profile and the LinkedIn publishing ecosystem including LinkedIn Influencers, members and news publishers
Download the free LinkedIn Students app to your smart phone and begin developing your professional network and career information from alumni:
Social Media Presence
How to Perform a Social Media Cleanup
Conduct a Social Media Report of Problematic Text or Images