Welcome to the ECU
Center for Counseling &

IT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where are you located? 137 Umstead Building, Enter the bldg. through the back entrance facing Slay Building, turn right and follow the signs into our reception area.
  • Do I need an appointment to see a counselor?Yes, please contact our office to schedule an intake appointment. Our office also provides emergency crisis services Monday thru Friday between the hours of 11 am and 4 pm during fall and spring semesters.
  • How do I make an appointment? To make an appointment, call the Center at 328-6661 weekdays during regular business hours, between 8am - 5pm.
  • What does it cost to use your services? Counseling services are FREE to enrolled ECU students.
  • What do I do in an emergency situation where I cannot wait for an appointment? Students experiencing an emergency situation should make this known, so that they may be seen as soon as possible. Please see the Emergency Services page.
  • What if I experience an emergency crisis at night OR on a weekend? You can access our On-Call Crisis Counseling Service by contacting our office at 252-328-6661 and following the instructions for the after hours counseling services. If you are away from the Greenville area, please call 911. 
  • Do you have student workers at the Counseling Center? Currently, the Counseling Center does not employ any student positions. We have begun working with masters and graduate programs on campus to house intern or practicum students for training, but this is done through the individual graduate schools.
  • Is everything confidential? Can my parents or professors find out I’ve been to the Counseling Center? Please see the Confidentiality Statement page.
  • Is it true that you will not see some students? My friend said you told him to see a private therapist. The Counseling Center on-campus is a short-term facility. If a student presents an issue that may require more intensive and long-term treatment, the counseling staff will possibly refer them out into the community to receive more specialized and personalized services.
  • What if I need medication? Our psychiatry staff assists students in obtaining appropriate medication prescriptions.
  • What if I need a medical or psychological withdrawal? Please contact the Dean of Students office. Their information regarding withdrawals can be found here.
  • Do you have counselors who can work with people from varying backgrounds and cultures? Absolutely, our staff members are qualified and open to rendering counseling services to any student in need of an intervention.
  • Is there a limit to how long I can receive counseling from the Counseling Center? Being a short-term facility, typically a student will complete approximately 4-8 sessions within one semester. Should a student’s treatment needs exceed this amount, a possible referral out into the community may ensue.
  • What is the University Good Samaritan Regulation? A tool designed to provide support for those needing medical assistance in an alcohol related emergency that promotes/encourages Pirates to engage in responsible action, bystander intervention. It also removes fear of negative consequences by waiving the first alcohol offense through the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR) and instead of disciplinary action, OSRR will use a more educational approach
  • How Does the UGSR Work? An individual is in need of medical assistance due to possible alcohol poisoning/over intoxication. Student alerts the proper authority (For example: RA, Residence Hall Coordinator, 911 or ECU Police); these individuals will document the occurrence. Individuals remain with the person needing medical attention until help arrives. Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responds to the individual in need of medical attention. Your name must be listed within the documentation acknowledging your assistance in seeking help
  • Who does this help? Individuals in need of medical assistance due to over intoxication and persons who seek medical assistance, but may also be under the influence of alcohol (Likewise, failure to report a serious alcohol emergency will result in more severe consequences through the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.) More information can be found here.

Have a question that you don't see addressed? Please call 328-6661!


Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon
IT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility