Students - Frequently Asked Questions

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon
Students - Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have a tag?

A tag is placed on a student’s record by OSSR or Campus Living at the time a complaint is filed.  The tag will remain on the record until the student meets with a conduct administrator and the complaint is resolved. Students with a tag may not register for classes, drop or add classes or take many academic actions without the permission of OSRR or Campus Living. Tags may be temporarily lifted if a student is actively participating in the conduct process or is complying with all sanctions. If a student withdraws from ECU before resolving a pending complaint, a tag will be placed on the record and the student may not re-enroll without resolving the pending complaint.

If a student has a JUD tag on their account they should contact Campus Living at 252-328-4917 with any questions or requests to temporarily lift the tag. If a student has a SC tag on their account they should contact OSSR at 252-328-6824.

How should I prepare for my student conduct meeting?

There are different types of student conduct processes, but the preparation is similar. Students are expected to be sincere and tell the truth. An organized and sequential telling of the story and presenting of evidence or information is most helpful. Formal presentations are not necessary, as a focused and honest conversation is usually sufficient to resolve most incidents. You represent yourself at a conduct meeting and are expected to present yourself respectfully and coherently to the conduct administrator.

Who has access to my conduct record? Will my parents or professors find out about this?

Student records are protected under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly known as FERPA. Typically, OSRR does not disclose student conduct records without prior permission of the student to anyone including parents and faculty. If a student is less than 21 years of age, and found responsible for violating the drug and/or alcohol policies parents are notified of that case. Students may give parents access to their student record on OneStop (Buckley Form under “Academic Planning” module) or by signing a FERPA Release Form in our office.

I received a citation for county court; why have I been charged with a Code violation as well?

OSRR receives reports from a variety sources including ECU and Greenville Police, and Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE). Some behaviors are a violation of law as well as a violation of the Code. Proceedings under the Code may be carried out prior to, simultaneously with, or following civil/criminal proceedings.

My charges were dismissed or I received a ‘prayer for judgment’ in court, why do I have to meet with a conduct administrator?

Having criminal charges dismissed or receiving a prayer for judgment does not mean you did not engage in the behavior. OSRR still has the right to review the behavior in the incident to determine if there was a possible violation of the Code.  

What is a Student Advisor?

A Student Advisor is a trained student-member of the Conduct Board who can assist you as you go through the appeals process for a non-academic violation of the Student Code of Conduct. They can answer questions about the process, offer feedback about your appeal letter, and guide you through a Conduct Board Hearing, if granted. You will be provided the contact information of a student advisor in your meeting with the conduct administrator.