General Medical

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon
General Medical

Student Health can help with a variety of general medical issues and needs. 

links open to content below


Student Health Services (SHS) can provide refills for patients taking prescription medications for Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD).  SHS does not provide testing for ADD/ADHD. 

Stimulant medications for ADD/ADHD are Class II narcotics and are governed by federal and state laws and regulations.   SHS will refill these medications only if the below requirements are met:

  • Written documentation of an ADD/ADHD diagnosis and medication used for treatment must be provided by the patient. The history must consist of more than self-reported prescriptions and diagnosis. The assessment or documentation of treatment must have been within the past three years. Documentation will be maintained in the patient’s SHS medical file. Treatment may then be continued by a SHS provider. If sufficient documentation is not available, SHS will not provide prescriptions for stimulant use.
  • Students will not possess a controlled substance without a legitimate prescription, or give or sell these medications to others.  This is illegal and potentially dangerous.
  • Appointments are required monthly for ADD/ADHD refills.  Patients will not be given refills through our triage service or by phone.
  • By law prescriptions cannot be called to a pharmacy.  Under most circumstances, SHS providers will only write for a 30 day supply with no refills.
  • No renewal of the prescription is allowed earlier than 25 days from the previous prescription date.
  • There will be no replacement for lost, stolen, or damaged prescriptions.  There are no exceptions to this policy.

Students who do not keep their follow-up appointments will not be able to receive a renewed prescription until he or she returns for an appointment.  There will be continued monitoring of blood pressure, heart rate, side effects, response to therapy, compliance, and illicit drug use.

In accordance with North Carolina general statutes, students filling prescriptions at the pharmacy must provide a government issued ID to receive their medication; it may be in the form of a state issued driver’s license, state issued DMV identification card, or passport.  No exceptions will be made.

Read more about stimulant medications and what SHS requires of students seeking ADD/ADHD prescriptions.

Give To East Carolina University