The East Carolinian campus newspaper serves as the main source of news & information. The East Carolinian, also known as TEC is distributed free on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the spring and fall semesters and on Wednesdays during the summer. The East Carolinian offers students hands-on experience in advertising sales, editing, writing, reporting, photography, management, web production, social media & graphic design. TEC is located in Self Help Building, Suite 100-F, downtown.
The East Carolinian Editor is responsible for supervising the editorial operations of the twice weekly, student-run newspaper during the fall and spring semesters and once a week during the summer sessions.
The editor should be knowledgeable of basic editorial, production, business and staffing procedures, and should also be knowledgeable of the newspaper's newsgathering responsibilities and First Amendment rights.
• Responsible for the overall workings of The East Carolinian, including the editorial team, writers, copy editors, photographers, production staff and Web staff. • Manages the editorial staff. • With the help of The East Carolinian staff, implements and plans the content for the newspaper. • Edits all copy before it prints. • Fills any vacant editorial position until that position can be filled. • Hires (and fires, if necessary) all editorial team members. • Submits payroll for the editorial staff to office manager monthly. • Meet as needed with the Student Media director and advisor and for discussion about the following and/or preceding week. • Attend Media Board meetings once a month. • Provide a monthly report to ECU Student Media Board about the newspaper's editorial operations. • Edit all pages before being sent to the printer. • Stay in the newsroom until pages; call the printer Prepress Center to maker sure they have 1) received the pages and 2) all pages look good. • Check the website for errors and overall appearance. • Fulfills any responsibilities necessary for the success of The East Carolinian.
The editor must meet the following requirements:
• Be enrolled as a full-time student at East Carolina University.
• Have a minimum 2.50 grade point average at time of selection and maintain a minimum 2.50 grade point average while employed at The East Carolinian.
• Be able to hire and direct the activities of staff members.
• Have a working knowledge of marketing, management, finance and communications, with university level courses in each preferred.
• Understand libel laws and other rules and regulations regarding journalistic practices.
• Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Creative Suite software programs.
• Be able to handle responsibility and meet deadlines.
Media Head applications are available online here or Media Board Office,
Self Help Building - 301 Evans St., Suite 205 A
The deadline for submitting an application is Friday, February 21, 2014 at 5 p.m.
For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Media Board Office at 252.328.9236