How to Protect Yourself
It is never the victim's fault when he or she is assaulted. Although it's important to be aware of your surroundings when alone, it's important to note that most people will be assaulted by someone they know. However, there are some things you can to do keep yourself safer.
- Never accept beverages, including non-alcoholic ones, from someone not known or trusted well.
- Keep track of your drink at parties.
- Never leave your drink unattended--get a new one if you do.
- Never drink from open beverage containers, including punch bowls at parties. Consider bringing your own bottled beverages.
- Go out in a group and check in with your group throughout the night.
- Don't leave a party/bar alone with someone you just met.
- Keep your cell phone charged and make your friends aware of where you are.