The VSLC invites all members of the ECU community to learn through service in Greenville, Pitt County, and beyond.
We offer a variety of opportunities for students, staff, and faculty. We offer opportunities with a range of commitment levels and types of service programs, from weekly semester-long opportunities to one-time service events and immersion programs.
The VSLC is committed to building strong community partnerships with local organizations that work with people who are most in need in our community. This collaboration ensures a productive, transformative experience not only for clients and beneficiaries of the agencies, but also (and perhaps more so) for those who serve.
At the start of each fall semester, the Get a Clue Service Opportunities Fair brings together students interested in volunteerism, service-learning, advocacy, and local community events. Attending the fair is a great “first step” toward your future in service!
The online service guide through OrgSync lists a variety of opportunities -- both ongoing and one-time activities -- with various community partners.
Registration and verification of hours is now completed entirely through OrgSync. ECU students must register through OrgSync before beginning their service. This registration process covers students with the Center's supplemental liability insurance while doing service. To learn more about this liability coverage, click here and read the Excess Volunteer Liability Coverage section (Part II in the document.
- Register on OrgSync. Or, if you already have an account, simply login. Important: Be sure to complete the Acceptance of Risk form online once you register.
- Browse the VSLC Calendar of Events to view one-time opportunities.
- Click on the My Tools --> Service Opportunities tab on OrgSync to view other service opportunities.
- Search through more than 150 community partners to see what they offer.
- Sign up, attend an orientation session, and get started!
- Then, record your service hours using the Timesheet feature on OrgSync.
- At any point, contact a VSLC staff member for assistance!
Students may record:
- Direct community service activities (i.e., tutoring, building homes, serving meals)
- Indirect service activities (i.e., fundraisers, community organizing, Relay for Life)
- Community organizing (i.e., voter registration drives, community gardens)
- Service-learning courses (direct service and reflection hours only)
- Projects sponsored by student clubs/organizations that provide a service to the local community
- Service-related spring break trips/immersions
- Self-initiated volunteer work independent of ECU but conducted while a current student
- Meeting hours (only if the meeting was spent planning a community service activity)
- Participation and hours from some, but not all, service scholarship programs (i.e. AmeriCorps, EC Scholars) may be transferable
- International ECU community service initiatives, including those while participating in a University approved study abroad program
- Mandated community service hours (after consulting with VSLC staff)
- Preparation, transportation and reflection hours (up to 15 hours per semester)
- Service that directly impacts the University (i.e. Family Weekend volunteer, Pirate Tutoring Center volunteer)
- Shadowing hours
- Non-profit internship hours
- Activities for which a student is paid wages or a stipend
- Observation or practicum hours that are part of a degree requirements and do not include direct community service
- Meeting or class hours, unless the time was spent planning or completing a community service activity
- Service completed during a semester in which the student was not enrolled at the University or in a University-sponsored program. (i.e. high school activities)
- Student club/organization activities, unless the activities provide a direct service to the local community (i.e., a canned food drive coordinated by a student organization)
- Persuasive political or religious activities