The Volunteer and Service-Learning Center (VSLC) at East Carolina University, in partnership with local, regional, and international communities, seeks to foster an environment where individuals learn about themselves and their community, take action through service, and advocate for lasting social change.
VSLC Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of participating in service and VSLC programs, students will:
- Develop civic leadership skills and learn how they can use those skills to contribute to the common good
- Explore facets of their identity related to diversity, privilege, race, class and gender and reflect on how those identities impact their perspectives
- Learn about social inequalities and structural injustices and how to respond in creative and productive ways
- Build relationships in the local community in order to build professional networks and advance career skills
Public Service Learning Outcomes
As a result of participating in VSLC programs, faculty and staff will:
- Incorporate service-learning pedagogy into their courses and assess its impact on student learning
- Build civic learning outcomes into co-curricular and extracurricular programs
- Create both transactional (short-term; project-based) and transformational (long-term; sustained) partnerships with local community agencies
- Develop collaborative relationships with other faculty and staff interested in community-based learning in order build a campus-wide network of community engagement
The VSLC staff assists campus volunteers and service-learning students with finding service sites, facilitating national days of service and service trips, supporting student led service programs, and assessing community impact.
ECU faculty and Community Partners are also supported by the VSLC staff as they work with volunteers and service-learners to address community needs.
Join us for exciting co-curricular and student-led programs such as the Campus Kitchen, ECU~READS/WRITES/COUNTS, alternative break trips, student leadership activities, social justice educational opportunities, and much more.