Since 1915, ECU’s motto has been Servire or “to serve,” and the institution’s history includes many examples of service to the region and state. ECU’s Office of Public Service and Community Relations coordinates the assessment and reporting of public service initiatives across campus.
The ECU Strategic Action Plan includes ten objectives related to public service:
- Build upon ECU’s engagement mission to develop student leaders who serve their communities
- Extend leadership development activities to support rural communities and underserved populations
- Leverage ECU’s Carnegie classification to raise awareness of the institution’s innovative model for leadership and engagement
- Expand access to health services for North Carolinians by creating and implementing innovative service models
- Prioritize and invest in programs that address pressing regional issues
- Enhance interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary collaborations and partnerships with industry, education, government, and communities
- Enhance social, environmental, and economic vitality by leveraging our core engagement, research, education and outreach enterprises
- Strengthen regional access to learning opportunities in the arts
- Partner to improve the preparation of PreK-12 teachers and support arts and humanities education in the public schools
- Nurture lifelong partnerships to stimulate the local creative economy
These objectives serve to emphasize ECU’s role and commitment to public service, focus public service at ECU, and guide resource allocation for public service.
ECU Public Service Activities
Public service occurs when ECU faculty, staff, and/or students work to improve communities in eastern North Carolina and beyond. This work involves communities and benefits communities as it also advances scholarship by linking theory and practice across a wide range of academic disciplines. ECU faculty, staff and students work with communities through engagement and outreach activities, coursework and perform service to the community through continuing education, co-curricular service, extra-curricular service, and volunteerism.