Advising Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for courses? While you will need your registration pin from your academic advisor, you can view a valuable tutorial here.  Although this link brings you to the Online DE tutorials page, it is applicable to ALL students.  This link will also provide additional information about Onestop, Banner, Blackboard and Piratemail. 

What GPA do I need to graduate?A minimum of 2.0 gpa overall, and in your major. 

If I get a D in a Major class, does it count toward my major? It depends on a major. For example, a grade of "C" is required for major classes. Check with your academic advisor if you have questions.  

Grade Replacements: What do they mean, and should I do them? They are ONLY for 1000 & 2000 level classes; retake the class if you can significantly improve the grade. If you are replacing a "D" it will not add any hours, which may affect financial aid and progress toward graduation. 

Are there any "minimum" grades I should get? Foreign Language 1002; you MUST get a C (minimum) to survive 1003, B is better. You walk into 1003, and the teacher is no longer speaking English. Period.  

Does MATH 0001 or 0045 count towards graduation? No; if you have credit for it, subtract the two hours from your total hours.  

Do I have to take MATH 1065? For the College of Technology and Computer Science, MATH 1065 is required.  

Can FC (general education) requirements in any category be met by taking courses all from the same department? Natural Sciences (SC) requirements may be taken from one department; or Humanities & Fine Arts (H/FA) you need to have at least 1 hour from the humanities (philosophy, iterature, etc.), and at least one hour from the Fine Arts (music, art, theatre, etc.); for Social Sciences (SO),you need to have your 12 hours from at least three different fields (anthropology, economics, geography, history, etc.).  

Does my military service count toward any general education requirements? Yes; your DD-214 will place you out of both HLTH 1000 & EXSS 1000. Take it to admissions.  

What do I have to do to graduate? First, you must complete all the requirements to graduate in your program; while you are working on that, complete a senior summary, do an exit survey, and apply to graduate.  

What is a senior summary? A senior summary is a review of your record to figure out what you still need to take.

TECS Advising FAQ

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Share Facebook Icon Twitter Icon
  Follow CET facebook_1 twitter_1 youtube_1


You can use

this text element

or delete it to

add other elements.


Give To East Carolina University