Industrial Engineering Technology Program
The BS in Industrial Engineering Technology (IET) program prepares individuals to apply basic engineering principles and technical skills in the improvement of processes in production and service environments. This includes instruction in process and productivity improvement, production operations, inventory control, operations management, cost and capital project analysis, plant layout, work planning, quality systems and statistical quality control.
A unique aspect of the program is that students can pursue careers in the field of manufacturing and/or service areas such as facilities management. In addition, the curriculum prepares students for graduate study in the Master of Science degree in Technology Systems, Occupational Safety, Business, Operations Management, and similar areas.
Graduates are also well-versed in the establishment of systems, systems analysis, electronics and instrumentation, computer-aided design and manufacturing, programmable logic controllers, electronics, hydraulic and pneumatic control systems, robotics, and automation.
Graduates from this program are hired as industrial engineers/technologists, productivity improvement specialists, process and quality control engineers, and for overall management in manufacturing and service industries. The program employs an application-oriented hands-on approach to allow students to learn and practice skills in communications, teamwork, problem solving, management, and leadership. Knowledge of Lean manufacturing, Lean enterprise and Six-sigma are also cornerstones of the program. A capstone project is conducted in the final semester by students to validate concepts learned. After successfully completing the capstone project many students from the program are offered full-time employment where they have conducted their project work.
The BS in IET degree will qualify you for career choices as:
- Industrial Engineering Technologist
- Industrial Engineer
- Operations Manager
- Technical Sales Manager
- Project Engineer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Six-sigma Black Belt
- Production Manager
- VP of Operations
- Business Unit Manager
- Lean Coordinator & Champion
Students in our program work with faculty who possess a wealth of industrial and workplace experience in engineering, manufacturing, and operations management. To maintain their skills in this dynamic field, our faculty continue to conduct research and consult with professionals in business and industry. Their background and experience are brought into the classroom to provide state-of-the-art content that focuses on solving real-world problems and projects.
Printable Program Summary
Industrial Engineering Technology Career Overview
The BS in Industrial Engineering Technology program will qualify students for career choices in production & project engineering and management, quality assurance / quality control, inventory control, technical and industrial supervision, and human resource development.
- Graduates utilize mathematical, statistical, and industrial engineering tools to provide holistic solutions to operational problems for business and industry.
- Graduates design and establish systems to integrate people, capital, equipment, materials, technology, and information, with consideration for ethical, economical, environmental, health and safety, social and political issues.
- Graduates continuously improve systems, products, processes and services with emphasis on quality, productivity and competitiveness.
- Graduates engage in life-long learning.
- Graduates are effective team members and team leaders on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Graduates communicate technical and business ideas and concepts graphically, orally and in writing.
- An appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of the IET discipline.
- An ability to identify, analyze, and solve technical problems appropriate to the IET discipline.
- An ability to analyze, design, optimize, and maintain systems or processes appropriate to the IET discipline.
- An ability to adapt to emerging applications of technology appropriate to the IET discipline.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- An ability to function effectively on teams.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
- An ability to understand professional, ethical, global, and social responsibilities.
- Respect for diversity and a knowledge of contemporary professionals, societal, and global issues.
- Commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.