Now in Our 27th Year of Service to East Carolina University!
Our Statement of Purpose:
The purpose of the East Carolina University Retired Faculty Association (ECURFA) is to provide retired faculty with a continuing link to the university and to colleagues and friends through social activities, receptions, and group travel. It provides an opportunity to give back to the university through an endowment fund, which has established graduate and undergraduate scholarships.Officers:
- NEW! The ECURFA Spring Social will be held on Monday, April 28, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m., in the Harvey Room, in the Murphy Center. Members whose last names begin with L - Z are requested to bring a favorite appetizer or dessert. If you do not receive an invitation, please notify Christy Angle, telephone at 252-328-1958, or at 1-800-ECU-GRAD.
- The ECURFA Annual Business Meeting and Chancellor's Social will be held on Thursday, June 5, at the Murphy Center, in the Athletic Complex. The Annual Business Meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Harvey Room, and the Chancellor's Social will follow, at 6:00.
- ECU Retired Faculty Forum schedule:
- May 20th, Phil Houston, retired CIA officer and best-selling author; location TBA.
- We hold board meetings quarterly, in January, April, July, and October. We also conduct a business meeting of the membership in the spring each year. The next board meetings will be April 15 and July 22, in the Self-Help Building Conference Room, 3rd floor, at 3:00 p.m.
- We hold a social twice a year for retired ECU faculty members and invited guests. The Spring social for 2014 will be on April 28 (see above for details). Click here to see some of the photos from the Spring social in 2013.
- We publish a newsletter, The Golden News, twice a year. The editor is Steve Row, 252-756-4225.
- We meet as the East Carolina University Retired Faculty Association Dutch Luncheon, usually on the first Thursday of each month. The May 1st luncheon will be at China 10 (new location on Fire Tower Road, near the intersection of Fire Tower and Arlington Boulevard, beside the Kangaroo gas station)., at 1:00 p.m. The June 5th luncheon will be at Mi Cabana Mexican Restaurant, 333 Arlington Blvd., at 1:00 p.m. Please call Frank Rabey at 252-756-0389 for more information, or consult the Daily Reflector.
- We organize group travel for ECURFA members and "friends." Some of us went to France in April 2013 for "The Seine: Paris to Normandy" Click here for some photos of the trip. Other trips in 2013 went to England, Scotland, and Wales, in June, and to New York City in November. Please contact Tom Feldbush for suggestions for other trips.
All retired ECU faculty members (including those on phased retirement) are de-facto members of the ECU Retired Faculty Association, and spouses of deceased members are eligible for associate membership. If you have retired or are the spouse of a deceased member, but have not been invited to join the ECURFA, please call the Alumni Association at 252-328-6072.
By-Laws of the East Carolina University Retired Faculty Association
Policies and Procedures Manual of the East Carolina University Retired Faculty Association:
Privileges for Retired Faculty
Parking Policy for Retired Faculty:Retired Faculty have been issued notices to renew their parking permits for the 2013-2014 school year. Parking and Transportation Services (252-328-6294/6963 office) has sent out letters offering a free Retired Faculty parking permit to park in zones B1, B3, B5, and C. The university has reserved ten parking spaces for retired faculty:
- two spaces on the 10th Street side of Joyner Library;
- two across 10th Street from the Brewster Building;
- two in the circle north of Bloxton House;
- two west of the old Cafeteria; and
- two east of the Rivers Building.
- There are also two B1 lots near the Student Recreation Center: in the old Hardee's lot and behind the townhouses at the corner of Cotanche and 9th streets.
As the university is becoming a pedestrian campus, faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use the Student Transit system to attend events on campus. Riders are expected to have an ECU 1 Card [although a university picture ID card may suffice].
Use of ECU E-mail by Retired Faculty:
Faculty/staff retiring from the University will be able to use their account for 365 days after retiring. Retirees will have an opportunity to renew their account at the end of this period by contacting IT Help Desk at 252.328.9866. If the retiree requests account reactivation after the 365-day expiration, the account can be reactivated permanently.
ECURFA Scholarship Endowment.
We thank the Office of Alumni Relations for their administrative support!
This month's picture: East Carolina University Fast Facts.
The URL of this Web site is http://www.ecu.edu/ecurfa
Webmaster: Michael Cotter, Asst. Prof.Emeritus, Library Services