Coastal Processes and Conflicts: North Carolina's Outer Banks
A Curriculum for Middle and High School Students
Stanley R. Riggs
Dorothea V. Ames
Karen R. Dawkins
East Carolina University
North Carolina Sea Grant
Topics addressed in the curriculum include (among others):
Get Your Copy Today, One of Two Ways!
- Geologic Development of Coastal North Carolina
- Sea-Level Change and Coastal Dynamics
- Transfer of Energy and the Hydrologic Cycle
- Storms and Coastal Erosion
- Surface Water Dynamics
- Role of Barrier Islands and their Inlet/Outlet Systems
- Human Responses to Eroding Shorelines
- Using Coastal Evidence to Make Management Decisions
- Making a Cross Island Topographic Profile
- Making a Topographic Profile of Your School Yard
- Order a printed copy of the curriculum from CSMTE and you will also receive a Companion Disc of Images CD which can be projected in the classroom as a visual aid for activities. The $10 fee includes the printed curriculum, CD, and shipping and handling. To place an order, complete and return the order form to CSMTE.
- Download an electronic copy of the curriculum to print on your own. Document is 186 pages in length.