to the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) web site for East Carolina University.
Our Mission: Provide leadership and management experience to better identify and manage the university’s strategic, financial, operational, regulatory compliance, and reputational risks holistically as an enterprise.
What is Enterprise Risk Management? It is “a process, effected by an entity’s… management and other personnel, applied in strategy setting and across the enterprise, designed to identify potential events that may affect the entity, and manage risk to be within its risk appetite, to provide reasonable assurance regarding the achievement of entity objectives” (COSO, 2004).
ECU’s ERM Approach:
Got a risk concern, recommendation, or suggestion? Contact us
- Work through the Enterprise Risk Management Committee in a decentralized fashion to accomplish ERM goals
- Improve risk measurement to support strategic decision making, risk mitigation efforts, and resource allocation
- Use pre-existing risk identification and internal control processes to the greatest extent possible
- Raise institutional awareness of existing and emerging risks and their relative potential effects on the institution as a whole
- Provide training and relevant information on ERM to enhance the internal controls and risk management mindset of ECU employees, students, and other stakeholders