East Carolina University. Tomorrow starts here.®
 
Laupus Library


BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibilityTwitterFacebook
Laupus Library Header

About the Library

The Laupus Library provides leadership in access to information essential to quality health care delivery, education, and research at East Carolina University and across eastern North Carolina. We serve the Brody School of Medicine, the College of Nursing, the College of Allied Health Sciences, and the School of Dental Medicine at ECU. We also deliver library and information services to Vidant Health hospitals and other health care providers across the region.

2013 Library Fact Sheet

View our Expression of Mission and Values

View our 2011-2012 Strategic Goals

 

About Our Namesake

Dr. Laupus

Dr. William E. Laupus (1921-2005)

Laupus Library is named for Dr. William E. Laupus, M.D. Dr. Laupus received his medical degree from Yale University in 1945. In 1976, Dr. Laupus became the dean of the School of Medicine at East Carolina University and began work to turn the unaccredited medical school from a two year school to a fully accredited 4 year program. Dr. William E. Laupus witnessed the graduation of the first class from the School of Medicine in 1981. He guided the construction of what is now the Brody School of Medicine building from 1985-1988.

Dr. Laupus was the dean of the School of Medicine from 1975-1988. He was a University Vice Chancellor from 1982-1987, and Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences from 1987-1989.

 

Our History

The Health Affairs Library was established in 1969 with Dr. Jo Ann Bell as its director. Our mission was to serve the fledgling School of Health Affairs. Our collection was started with only one professional librarian and 12 tons of donated books. Throughout the years, we've grown to serve Vidant Health Center (formerly Pitt Community Hospital) and, through EAHEC, health care professionals across Eastern North Carolina.

We have moved four times in our history. We moved from the old cafeteria building to the Biology Building (1970), to the Belk Building (1972), then to the Brody Building (1981). Finally, in 2006, we moved to our current location, the Health Sciences Building. The Health Sciences Building is a 300,000 square foot, state-of-the-art educational center that we share with the College of Allied Health Sciences and the College of Nursing.

View a complete timeline of our history

 

Contact Us

Mailing Address:
Laupus Library
600 Moye Blvd.
Greenville, NC 27834

Physical Address:
Laupus Library
500 Health Science Drive
Greenville, NC 27834

Get maps and directions to Laupus Library

Phone:
252-744-2219 or
1-888-820-0522 toll free

For a fuller listing of our contact information visit our dedicated Contact Us page. Also, you can view a listing of our departments or our complete employee directory.