Graduates mark end of medical school
Dr. Tracy McLean, right, is congratulated by friend Bridget Hayes following the Brody School of Medicine convocation Friday, May 6. Photo by Cliff Hollis
(May 6, 2011)
The Class of 2011 formally completed medical school today during the annual convocation of the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University.
Seventy students received their degrees at the event, held at Wright Auditorium.
"Thankfully, we survived, and today is our time to shine," said graduate Holly Montjoy, speaking to the class and crowd. Montjoy, of Robbins, is headed to a family medicine residency in Klamath Falls, Ore.
Earlier in the day, students celebrated commencement with the rest of the bachelor's, master's and doctoral graduates at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.
"It's exhilarating," said Nancy Shinouda of Roanoke Rapids. "It's basically the best day so far. We've worked really hard to get this far."
Now that she's completed medical school, Shinouda is headed to Memphis, Tenn., for residency training in internal medicine and pediatrics. She hopes to be a hospitalist and praised the medical education she received at ECU.
"I feel like I'm very prepared for anything I'll be doing in the future," she said.
On Thursday, the following graduates were recognized at the medical school's annual awards day:
- Landon Williams, Andrew Best Service Award
- Ashley Tennyson, Wylie Carhartt, Brandy Edwards, Nancy Shinouda, Anita Unnnithan and Laura Wolfe, N.C. Schweitzer Fellows
- Jennifer Parker, ECU Emergency Medicine Student Achievement Award
- Brandi Wilkes, Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Excellence in Emergency Medicine Award
- David Baker III, Edgar T. Beddingfield, Jr., MD Family Medicine Award
- Holly Montjoy, Golden Living Center Award
- Senthuran Ravindran, Shiva Zargham, Department of Bioethics and Interdisciplinary Studies
- Jennifer Vu, Department of Internal Medicine Best Student in Medicine Award
- Steven Hobgood, Microbiology and Immunology Achievement Award
- Victoria Elliott, Stephen Green Award
- Steven Hobgood, Alexandra Stang, Ruth A. Carson Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Award
- Brooke Caldwell, William E. Laupus Pediatric Award
- Stephanie Permar, Jon. B. Tingelstad Pediatric Award
- Timothy Thurber, Phillip G. Nelson Award
- Brandon Yarns, James Mathis Award
- Brandy Edwards, Frank H. Longino Award
- Brooke Caldwell, Courtney Olmsted, AMWA Malene Irons Award
- Alexandra Stang, Faculty Award
- Courtney Olmsted, Tiana Nicole Williams Award