Alumni Association announces 10 scholarship recipients
(Apr. 21, 2005)
The East Carolina Alumni Association has chosen 10 undergraduate students to receive scholarships of $1,000 each. The awards are given to full-time students who excel in the classroom and have distinguished themselves as leaders.
“This inaugural group of alumni scholars represents some of the finest students at East Carolina,” said Paul Clifford, associate vice chancellor of alumni relations. “They are academically talented, leaders in their community and all have a love for East Carolina.”
Winners were selected based on academic performance, service to the university community and recommendations. Alumni legacy status was also considered, but not required of the applicant.
The 2005 recipients had an average grade point average of 3.72 and were selected from a group of 133 applicants.
This year’s recipients are:
- Miriam Abernethy of Hickory, N.C., a senior majoring in rehabilitation services and minoring in psychology
- Anna-Lisa Bailey of Raleigh, N.C., a sophomore majoring in elementary education and minoring in child development and family relations
- Aadil Lodhi of Fayetteville, N.C., a sophomore physics major minoring in chemistry
- Kristen Farmer of Raleigh, N.C., a junior majoring in health information and health services management with a psychology minor
- Carmen Pack of Greenville, N.C., a junior majoring in elementary education and minoring in English
- Lauren Rood of Wahiawa, Hawaii, a sophomore nursing major
- Jenna Salter of Havelock, N.C., a junior exercise physiology major
- Elizabeth Schuler of Raleigh, N.C., a junior majoring in media studies and English
- Elwyn Thompson III of Winston Salem, N.C., a junior majoring in computer science
In addition, Melonie Norman, a sophomore nursing major from Yadkinville, N.C. was named as this year’s recipient of the Layton Getsinger Alumni Presidential Scholarship. This $1,000 scholarship was made possible by an anonymous donation made to recognize Layton Getsinger, the 2004-2006 Alumni Association president.
The scholarship recipients will be recognized April 29 at the Spring Awards Ceremony at the Hilton Greenville. Also honored at this event will be Honorary Alumnus Keith LeClair and the Distinguished Service Award recipients Billy Mills Sr., Charles Martin and Col. Ellis F. Hall.