ECU News Services
ECU Now Blog
ECU's 2007 Women of Distinction named
(Apr. 3, 2007) — East Carolina University honored ten of the campus’ most outstanding women March 23.
The women shared the stage with author Maya Angelou, keynote speaker for the inaugural Power and Pearls, a celebration of women’s strength and leadership held by the Ledonia Wright Cultural Center and the Chancellor’s Committee on the Status of Women.
Sharon Knight, associate dean of the College of Health and Human Performance, received the Dr. Linda Allred Profiles in Leadership Award. Allred, a longtime professor of psychology, died in 2005.
“It was great to see such a wide variety of disciplines represented,” said Cheryl Dudasik-Wiggs, director of the Women’s Studies Program and chair of the nominating committee. “But more than that, we were overwhelmed with pride at the depth of passion our faculty members have for serving the broader community.”
Wiggs noted that Knight, like Allred, exemplifies what it means to be a leader, a role model, and a mentor.
“She has studied women faculty's potential in academic medicine, the prevention of infant mortality, and HIV/AIDS service issues and needs among eastern North Carolina women,” Wiggs said. “She has also worked for drug-free schools and with children of substance abusers.”
The Committee on the Status of Women and Ledonia Wright Cultural Center were the sponsors for the Women of Distinction award.
The other women honored March 23 are as follows:
• Dr. Margaret Bauer: Rives Chair in Southern Literature, Department of English
• Dr. Shelia Grant Bunch: coordinator, Bachelor of Social Work Program
• Dr. Anne Dickerson: chair, Department of Occupational Therapy
• Dr. Patricia “Pat” Dunn: coordinator, volunteer activities for international students, Global Academic Initiatives
• Dr. Mary “Dee Dee” Glascoff: director, Community Health Program, Department of Health Education and Promotion
• Dr. Virginia Hardy: interim Chief Diversity Officer, interim Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (SOM), and associate dean for counseling and diversity (SOM)
• Dr. Susan McCammon: professor and Director/Chair, Behavioral and Social Sciences IRB, Department of Psychology
• Dr. Vivian Mott: chair, Department of Counselor and Adult Education
• Dr. Marilyn Sheerer: vice chancellor for Student Life.
ECU News Bureau
East Carolina University
ECU News Services
1001 E. Fifth St.| Greenville, NC 27858 USA | 252.328.6481 |
Report a Barrier