1. Do not attempt to interfere with the criminal except in the case of self-protection.
2. If safe to do so, stop and take time to get a good description of the criminal. Note the height, weight, sex, race, approximate age, clothing, method and direction of travel, and name (if known). All this takes only a few seconds, and it is critical to the investigating officers. If the criminal is entering a vehicle, note the license plate number, make and model, color, and any outstanding characteristics.
3. Immediately call the ECU Police Department at 911 if on East Campus and 744-2246 if on Health Sciences Campus, or 328-6150 if calling from a cellular phone. Give your name, location, telephone number, and department. Advise the telecommunicator of the situation and remain where you are until contacted by an officer.
4. In the event of civil disturbance, continue in your normal routine as much as possible. If the disturbance is outside, stay away from doors and windows.
5. Do not interfere with those creating the disturbance or with the law enforcement authorities on the scene.
6. While police are en route, stay calm and fill out the form that follows before discussing the details with anyone.