Reappointment, Tenure, Promotion
Office for Faculty Excellence's RoleConsult your chair or unit head and your personnel committee for information on requirements and procedures for tenure and promotion and carefully read the appropriate sections of the East Carolina University Faculty Manual. The East Carolina University Faculty Manual contains the procedure to be followed. The Faculty Manual includes The Code of The Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina (Part XI of the Faculty Manual). In addition, there may be unit procedures and guidelines that have been created as part of the process. If these are not given to you automatically, please ask whether such documents exist for your unit.
The role of the Office for Faculty Excellence in this process is to offer some resources and materials appropriate for several of the common components of the tenure and promotion process. Those common components are
- SOIS (Student Opinion of Instruction Survey)
- OFE consults with faculty members regarding their SOIS data.
- Peer classroom observation
- OFE conducts the training required of faculty members who serve as peer classroom observers.
- Construction of a PAD (Personnel Action Dossier)
- OFE conducts workshops on the required paperwork for personnel matters.
The East Carolina University Faculty Manual is the faculty member's contract. It is available online from the Faculty Senate Office at: http://www.ecu.edu/fsonline/manual/facultymanual.cfm
SOIS:The Faculty Senate has approved for use in personnel decisions two surveys: the SOIS (Student Opinion of Instruction Survey) in versions for face-to-face, lab, and field-based courses and the Distance Education Survey. The Distance Education Survey is administered to all students in courses with a distance-learning component that comprises 25 percent or more of the total contact hours. The Office of Institutional Planning, Research, and Effectiveness generates these surveys, administers them, and summarizes the information, which is distributed to the appropriate faculty members and units.
For a description of each survey, the procedures, and the schedule for conducting the surveys, see http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/ipar/assessment/AboutSOIS.cfm.
SOIS Reporting Form for PAD
For questions concerning the surveys please contact:
Peer Classroom Observation:Direct, peer classroom observation of teaching for non-tenured, probationary term faculty members is required at East Carolina University. This requirement results from UNC General Administrative Memorandum #338 ("Tenure and Teaching in the University of North Carolina"), issued September 28, 1992, and from East Carolina University Faculty Senate Resolution #93-44, which was approved by the Chancellor on February 8, 1994. The Faculty Senate Resolution establishes procedures and an instrument for direct, peer classroom observation. It also states that units can modify the Faculty Senate procedures or instrument, or select their own, provided these are approved by the appropriate vice chancellor.
Personnel Action Dossier (PAD):The Personnel Action Dossier (PAD) is required for personnel action for reappointment, promotion and permanent tenure. It is defined in the East Carolina University Faculty Manual (IV.F.2) as:
- The Personnel Action Dossier is a file containing materials for evaluating a faculty member's professional activity. The dossier is compiled by candidates for reappointment, promotion, and/or permanent tenure in consultation with the unit administrator and the chair of the Unit Personnel Committee. The dossier will be use by the appropriate committee in making personnel recommendations. A fixed term faculty member seeking to be recommended for a second or subsequent fixed-term appointment need not compile the dossier.
- The Faculty Manual specifies the organization, content and limitations of the dossier in Section XII. Additional information on tenure and promotion is in Section XIII.