As part of its efforts to recognize and encourage academic achievement in all disciplines, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi is pleased to sponsor this Internship Grant Competition. The Phi Kappa Phi Board of Directors encourages qualified undergraduates in all areas of study to apply. The program is designed to help support you as you seek knowledge and experience in your field by working in an internship program outside of the academic setting. A complete application must arrive at Phi Kappa Phi National Headquarters on or before the specified deadline (consult National Headquarters' web site). A complete application form consists of:
- Application form
- Official academic transcripts
- Letter from organization stipulating that you have been accepted into its internship program
- Two letters of recommendation
Applications arriving at National Headquarters after the deadline will be disqualified.
Instructions to Applicants
- Remember that the application must arrive at Phi Kappa Phi National Headquarters on before the deadline. Send the application to:
Internship Grant Competition
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Louisiana State University
305 French House, Highland Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
- Application, including letters of recommendation, must be typewritten.
- Type all material in no smaller than a 10-point font size.
- Please answer every question as fully as the space permits. Do not add supplemental sheets other than the required transcripts and letters of recommendation.
- You must have earned a minimum of 56 semester hours of academic credit but not more than 90 semester hours at the time of your application. Also, you should have at least one full year remaining in your program after the internship.
- You must be enrolled at an institution that has an active Phi Kappa Phi chapter and have a minimum academic grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. You may be nominated by a Phi Kappa Phi chapter, or you may apply independently.
- The internship should directly relate to your academic preparation, potential career choice, or to a commitment to the welfare of others.
- You are encouraged to pursue opportunities that reflect the commitment of The Society and its members to recognize and encourage academic excellence in all disciplines.
- In the final selection process, some preference may be given to applicants who explore options that provide a significant service to others or to those who demonstrate a special interest in the public sector or in non-profit agencies that address difficult societal ills.
- You are encouraged to seek opportunities outside your immediate geographical area; therefore, this award may be used to help defray some of the additional expenses incurred while you live in a different community.
- Clearly identify the goals you hope to accomplish if you are awarded an Internship Grant.
- Applications and supporting documents (except for Letters of Recommendation) must be submitted in quadruplicate (original plus 3 copies); Letters of Recommendation should remain sealed in envelopes (copies of letters of recommendation are not required).
- Assemble originals in the following order: Application Form, Transcripts, Letter of Acceptance into Internship, and Letters of Recommendation in sealed envelopes.
- Complete the Applicant Checklist and read and sign the Applicant's Certification, which indicates that should you be selected to receive a Phi Kappa Phi grant, you understand and accept the conditions under which the grant is awarded.
- Maintain a copy of your application for your records. Application materials will not be returned.
If selected to Rreceive a Phi kappa Phi Internship Grant recipients will be required to:
- Provide a recent glossy photograph for publicity purposes.
- Pursue the proposed internship project outlined in the application, unless prior approval of changes in the plans is secured from National Headquarters.
- Report to National Headquarters any other award, grant, fellowship, scholarship, tuition waiver, or employment remuneration or other financial aid to be received during the period of the grant.
- Submit, on time, any reports required by Phi Kappa Phi and notify National Headquarters of any circumstances that may alter student status during the time of the internship period.
- Be committed to an internship of at least 20 hours per week for a minimum duration of 6 weeks.
- Use the grant to defray actual expenses (travel, lodging, food etc.) related to the internship program.
- At the completion of the internship period, submit a summary report of accomplishment (approximately 350 words) to National Headquarters.