Programs: Majors & Minors in Political Science
The Department of Political Science offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Bachelor of Science (BS), and a variety of Minors.
The following summarizes the differences between a BA & BS in Political Science. First, however, the similarties:
- Both Degrees require 126 hours to graduate;
- Both degrees require a minor (24 hours);
- All programs at ECU (including Political Science) require a 2.0 (C) GPA overall, and in the major, to graduate;
- All programs at ECU (including Political Science) require 42 hours of Foundation Curriculum courses;
- Both degrees require complettion of the Foundation Curriculum, except that the BA requires 4 semesters of a Foreign Language, and the BS does not.
The main differences between the programs are summarized below:
BACHELOR OF ARTS
Required Courses: 9 Hours (POLS 1010, 2010, 2020)
Structured Electives: 3 Hours (Theory/Methods)
Electives: 24 Hours (any POLS class). Note that only 6 hours of independent study or internship may count toward the major
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
Required Courses: 18 Hours (POLS 1010, 2010, 2020, 3031, 3032, 3240)
Structured Electives: 18 Hours: American Politics (3 Hrs.), Intl. Relations/Comparative Politics (3 Hrs.), Theory Methods (3 Hrs.), Public Admin./Policy (3 Hrs.)
Electives: 15 Hours (any POLS class). Note that only 6 hours of independent study or internship may count toward the major
Cognates: ENGL 3820 or 3860 or 3880
For more specific information, please see the catalog or an advisor.
Below are printable check-sheet to track your progress toward either of the majors or the four minors.