Current Student Information

Here is a helpful list of information for Current and Returning Students.

Program Description and Applications 

Campus Living offers a wide range of programs and activities in all of our halls. These programs enhance the educational experience at East Carolina University by offering opportunities to learn and grow outside the classroom. In addition, we offer more focused educational programs in some of our halls, to add to the campus educational experience in specific area. All of these programs are based in a specific hall or halls. Some of these programs are based on Academic Major and are selected by being part of specific majors or programs, and other programs are have a separate application process.


RezNet is the high speed Internet service that is provided in your residence hall room. It is a “wired” or "wireless" connection in ALL halls. For a wired connection you will be using a Ethernet cable and port. Bringing or using your own wireless access point is prohibited for security reasons. 

Campus Living provides technical support via “house calls” from our staff as needed. Students can get assistance over the phone or request technical support by calling the ITCS Helpdesk at 328-9866. Students can also use the services of the Student Computer Support (Pirate Techs) in the Rawl Building. The hours, location and contact information for ACE can be found at

Health, Safety, and Security Program

If you have received a notice of non-compliance, you will be added to the Blackboard class titled "HSS_1000: Health Safety and Security (HSS)" within 10 business days of receiving the notice where you will be required to complete an educational task. To complete the task, you can first review the Health, Safety, and Security PowerPoint under the course documents section and then complete the educational task found under the assignments section. Additionally, the presentation can be found here.  If you have any questions regarding this assignment, please contact Campus Living Conduct at 252-328-4917.


Campus Living Conduct Office

The Campus Living Conduct Office is located in Jones Hall in the College Hill Neighborhood. The staff in the office work with students to educate them about the expectations of living on campus in a college community. The office is staffed by full time professionals, as well as graduate and undergraduate para-professional staff. 

Neighborhood Service Officepicture10

At the NSO, you can check out loaner keys if locked out of your room, borrow vacuum cleaners, request a room change, and pick-up UPS/FedEx/other non-postal packages.

There are two Neighborhood Service Offices. There is an NSO for the College Hill Neighborhood located in Gateway East (328-4044), and an NSO for both the Central Neighborhood and West Neighborhood located in West End Dining Hall (328-4022).

The NSO is open 7 days per week during the semester. 
If you have received a "Notice of Non-Compliance" from the Neighborhood Service Office and the Safety Inspection Team, click here.

Data Services

RezNet is the high speed Internet service that is provided in your residence hall room. Campus Living (with the support of the ECU Information Technology and Computer Services (ITCS)) offers both wireless and wired connections in student rooms. Smart TVs and Gaming systems are not supported for technical/security reasons. Campus Living also offers wireless connections in the public areas (lobby, some laundry areas) of residence halls, as well. Bringing or using your own wireless access point is prohibited for security reasons.

One your first access to the network, you will be given instructions on the web pages to configure your computer or tablet.

Campus Living provides technical support via “house calls” from our Resident Computer Consultants (RCC). Students can get assistance over the phone or request technical support from a RCC by calling the ITCS Helpdesk at 328-9866. Students can also use the services of the Pirate Techs Computing Center in Rawl Hall. The hours, location and contact information for the Pirate Techs can be found at

Sustainability Programs

Sustainability- “Meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” – Environmental Protection Agency

ECU and the Campus Living and Dining operations are active in conservation and recycling. We work both to make environmentally and economically sound facilities and operational decisions. Show more...

Campus Living Contracts, Forms and Appeals

The Campus Living contract is a binding contract for the Academic Year (August until May). There are serious penalties for canceling the contract after specific deadlines. Students should review the campus living contract before canceling their contract or submitting an appeal. All residents are encouraged to read the Resident Handbook, in addition to reading and understanding your Campus Living Contract.




It is highly recommended that students do not sign a lease with an off campus housing property until they have received a final appeal decision.

Campus Living Contract Appeals: The Campus Living Contract has specific penalties for cancelling (and remaining enrolled at ECU) after specific dates, please review information about making the decision to cancel.

All appeals for contract cancellations and buyout fees should be submitted to appeal must come from the student and should contain detailed information regarding the circumstances for their appeal request. Supporting information may be submitted from other entities as well. In the case of financial hardships, a detailed plan will need to be submitted explaining how being released from the contract will benefit the student. Cancellation of a contract on or after July 1st (June 1st for returning students) will result in forfeiture of the $100 Advance Room Fee and a payment of a prorated amount of the Room Rate for each day the room was occupied plus a cancellation fee that fifty percent (50%) of the remaining balance due under the contract (both fall and spring semesters) after this prorated amount is paid.

You may petition the Campus Living Appeals Committee (CLAC) for an exception to the above fee structure on the grounds of financial exigency, or family or medical emergency. If a you are approved for an exception to the normal cancellation fee structure by the CLAC, you will be required to pay the pro-rated amount of the Room Rate for the time the room was occupied plus the lesser of $400 or if lower fifty percent (50%) of the remaining balance due under the Contract after the prorated amount due for each day of occupancy is paid. Please reference the Campus Living Contract (above) for more details.

Exemption from the Freshman Residency Requirement: Freshmen (defined as students who have compiled fewer than 24 hours of college credit and does not include early college programs) are required to live in college housing for at least two semesters. Exempted from this policy are students who have reached their twenty-first birthday prior to the first day of classes; veterans of at least two years' active military service; married students; students who commute to school daily from their permanent, legal residence of their parents (within a 35 mile radius of campus);and students who have resided in residence halls for two semesters, excluding summers. In order to be considered for a housing exemption, a student must follow the steps below.

  • Read and Complete an Exemption Application form.  
  • Send the completed application and any supporting documentation to the Office of Campus Living and Dining Services or Supporting documents may include: your marriage license, copy of military orders or DD214, child's birth certificate, medical documentation, and notarized statement from parents and other letters as appropriate.
  • Exception forms from the Freshman Residency Policy are accepted before students sign a Campus Living Contract. A Freshman student with a current housing contact under normal circumstances would NOT be granted an exception from the residency policy- however the cancellation terms of the contract would apply if an exception was granted. Please contact with questions about a freshman appeal, after signing a housing contract.

Lock Change Appeals: All appeals for fees related to lost keys and or FOBs and associated lock changes should be submitted to Please include detailed information regarding the circumstances of your appeal.

Damage Fee Appeals: All appeals for room damage charges should be submitted to The University will assess damage charges for unauthorized use of and alterations to rooms, furnishings, equipment, buildings and for special cleaning necessitated by improper care of rooms and equipment. Charges may also be made for damages and excessive cleaning to public areas. All residents of a corridor, section, or hall will be held responsible for equal portions of the total damage/excessive cleaning charges when a specific student or students cannot be identified as responsible. Cleaning and damage charges will be billed to the responsible student(s).

Conduct Appeals: Conduct appeals and inquiries to conduct related student account holds should contact the Campus Living Conduct Office at 252-328-4931.

Arriving on campusarriveicon

  • Fall Move in for the residence halls is on a schedule, we will e-mail you a move-in information with the schedule, maps and other important information,
  • Have your one card available at check-in
  • Consider moving in during off-peak times (late afternoon/evenings)
  • Remember....parking is only sixty minutes
  • STOP (your car), DROP (your items), and Roll (your car to a remote lot.)
  • You can start using your meal plan and Purple Bucks plan right when you arrive.

What to bring/what not to bringquestionsicon

Depending on the date we receive your Campus Living Contract, you will receive your move-in information before you arrive. Your room assignment and roommate information will be e-mailed to your ECU e-mail account. We encourage you to contact your assigned roommate before you pack so you don’t end up in a room with two televisions and no coffee maker.

Each room is furnished with bed frames and mattresses, two desks and chairs, closet/wardrobe space, and dresser space. There is also a bulletin board or marker board next to each room door so that your neighbors can leave you messages. Please do not pack any items to hang on doors. Computers, televisions, coffee makers, music players, radios, and desk lamps are all fine to pack. All residence hall rooms feature cable television service, so you will need to provide a cable-ready television or DVD/Blueray/DVR unit and a cable cord to connect your TV. While we have wired and wireless Internet in all halls, we do not allow gaming systems and smart TVs on the campus network.

Storage space in your room is limited. Consult the list in the Resident Handbook before you pack.

Necessities Optional Items
These Items Are Safety Violation and Are Not Allowed
  • Linens for an eighty-inch mattress, towels, pillow, blanket, mattress pad
  • Toiletries
  • Alarm clock
  • Desk lamp with compact fluorescent bulb
  • School supplies, including a calendar
  • Safety-fused surge protectors
  • Laundry basket or bag
  • Summer clothing
  • Clothes hangers
  • Laundry detergent
  • Flip-flops (for showers)

  • Snacks
  • Bicycle with lock
  • Popcorn popper
  • Plants, knickknacks
  • Toaster/toaster oven
  • Battery-operated radio
  • CD/MP3 Players
  • Removable poster tape
  • First-aid kit
  • Bottle/can opener
  • Plates, cups, eating utensils
  • Calculator
  • General cleaning supplies
  • Iron, sewing kit
  • Lap board
  • Drawer lining (no contact paper)
  • Computer with Ethernet card (twenty-foot cord)
  • Fish tank (ten-gallon maximum; one per room; fresh water only)
  • Address book
  • Flashlight
  • Cable-ready television or DVD (twenty-foot cord)
  • Electric fan

  • Incandescent light bulbs
  • Torchiere-style halogen lamps of any wattage
  • Candles, torches, incense, inflammables
  • Air conditioners and/or space heaters
  • Hanging lights
  • Weights
  • Dart boards
  • Water beds
  • Oil lamps
  • Contact paper or wallpaper
  • Electric fry pans
  • Pets (except freshwater fish)
  • Electric or kerosene heaters
  • Stand-alone freezers, additional refrigerators and microwaves
  • Hot plates and any heating unit with an exposed heating element
  • Deep-fat cookers
  • Cinder blocks and bricks
  • Nails and hammers
  • Ceiling fans
  • Extension cords
  • Non-Approved Bed Lofts (UL-Listed Bed Lifts are allowed)
  • Glow-in-the-dark stickers

Living with a roommate/on a floorroommateicon

The Roommate Relationship

Sharing a small space in a residence hall means that you must exercise the skills of communication, compromise, and consideration.

In a roommate relationship, nothing is of little importance. Whether your roommate is a friend from home or someone you have just met, you must learn to communicate. One way to do this is to take advantage of our Roommate Agreement. This valuable tool can open discussion with your roommate about everything from whether you are neat or sloppy to whether you are an early or late riser. Discussing this type of information will help you understand and develop realistic expectations of one another.

Your roommate does not have to be your best friend. Many roommates aren’t, even though they can live together comfortably. If there is ever a problem between you and your roommate that you cannot solve together, our staff can help. Your resident advisor can help you talk through and deal with a problem cooperatively. If the problem is a serious one, the RA will notify the residence hall coordinator. The coordinator can help by talking with you and helping you develop and explore your options. If a severe conflict occurs, a member of our Campus Living Management Team may also become involved.

The bottom line to a successful roommate relationship is clear, considerate, and continuous communication. With a little help from our staff, you and your roommate can forge a working relationship and take advantage of the opportunity to develop strong interpersonal skills. Students are encouraged to review the Resident Handbook and Campus Living Contract from the Campus Living Web site. Students are expected to know Campus Living policies and the terms of the Campus Living Contract before they arrive on campus.