Mission: East Carolina University Alternative Break Experiences (ABE) create active citizens, leaders and advocates for lasting social change.
We believe at East Carolina University that Alternative Break Experiences (ABE) are learning opportunities that immerse ECU community members in diverse environments that address social, economic, political, environmental, spiritual, and cultural issues through the exchange of ideas, personal reflection, critical thinking, and applications of academic concepts beyond the classroom. ABE challenges all participants to critically reflect upon their role and ability to make lasting social change in our local, regional, and global community.
For a list of current Alternative Break Experiences and application information, please visit the ABE OrgSync Portal.
Past Alternative Break Experience Locations
- Environmental Justice: Atlantic Beach, NC
- Health and Wellness: Roanoke, VA
- Serving the Appalachian Community: Haysi, VA
- Youth and Nutrition: Greenville, NC
- Serving the LGBT Community: Atlanta, GA
- Youth Empowerment and the Justice System: Columbia, SC
- Poverty and Homelessness: Baltimore, MD
- EC Scholars Impact Trip: Washington, D.C.