Emerging Academic Initiatives
DE Student Orientation


How do I register and when?

Registration starts with contacting your advisor (advisor listing).Your academic advisor will assist you with clarifying your academic goals and deciding on the appropriate courses for which to register. Classes can fill quickly so we encourage you to check the calendar for important registration dates.
Where can I see the schedule?  

1. Go to OneStop
2. Click on “TOOLS” (top of menu bar)
3. On left side, click on “Course Catalog”
4. Click on each of the four drop-down boxes to set up the course search
My password has expired, what do I do?
or Contact the Help Desk at 800-340-7081 or 252-328-9866.
How do I find out who my advisor is?
Students are assigned an advisor once they contact their academic dept.
Do we get report cards mailed to us?

Report cards are not mailed. Grades can also be viewed on, under Banner Self Service, Student, Student Records.
As a grad student, will I have a GPA?  

Graduate students do have a GPA but the GPA is not listed on the report card. 
What do I do if I cannot get in my ECU email account?

Contact the Help Desk at 800-340-7081 or 252-328-9866.
Do I have to log on at a particular time each day to do my class?

Each class is taught differently depending on the instructor.  Check the syllabus as soon as the semester begins to know if there is a particular login day/time to be sure you do not have a conflict if this is a requirement.  Summer sessions are more likely to have logons some time each day.
How are exams given to on-line students?  

Some instructors will give their tests/exams on line.  Students will have a particular “window of opportunity” to logon and take the test/exam.  It may be a timed exam.  For those professors who do not do their testing on line, students will be required to secure a proctor to administer their test at their expense.  There will be particular proctor guidelines to follow and the proctor must be approved by the instructor.  Some instructors will set up a time for the test to be given on campus as well for those students who live within a reasonable driving range.
How do I know when to start my course?  Do they send me something in the mail?  Can I begin my course at any time?

Typically when students apply months in advance of the semester they are planning to attend, Admissions will send information regarding the ECU email and Bb.  Students are responsible for finding out when the semester begins.  Students should check both their email accounts and Bb the first day of class to get information from the instructors.  

DE students follow the same academic calendar as campus students.
I graduated but have not received my diploma?  Who should I call?  

Diplomas are mailed and usually require 6-8 weeks to arrive at the student’s permanent address listed in the Registrar’s Office.  If after eight weeks the diploma has not arrived, contact the Registrar’s Office at 252-328-6747.
Will my diploma have DE on it?  

All diplomas are identical whether you are a DE student or a campus student.  Distance education does not appear on the diploma.
How do I drop a DE course?

All requests for drop or withdrawal must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar IN WRITING via e-mail or fax to:

Email and Fax: or Fax: 252-328-4232

You must include:
Full name
ECU (Banner) ID
Mailing address
Reason for dropping the course
Course name and number you wish to drop
As a DE student, can I use the Rec. Center?  

DE students do not pay activity fees or student health fees and therefore do not have free privileges at the Student Rec Center or the Student Health Center.  Students may pay a separate membership at the Student Rec Center and students may also visit the Student Health Center and pay a fee for medical treatment.
I need to call several places on campus so how can I find telephone numbers on the website?  

An index locator is available at:
The index is a wonderful tool and is also direct web link. 
Where can I find the calendar for the semesters?
For questions regarding your FA, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Phone & Fax
(252) 737-6610
(252) 328-4347 (fax)

Go to the link below for contact information for your specific FA Administrator.
This is my first class online and I have no idea what to do or how to get started?
How may I pay for my DE courses?

  • Tuition payments for distance education courses can be made on-line through ECU’s OneStop via a secure connection, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can access the OneStop at Click on the Tools tab and then click on the Tuition Statements and Payments Option in the box labeled courses.

  • Paying by mail: 
    East Carolina University
    University Cashier's Office
    G120 Old Cafeteria Complex
    Mailstop - 230
    Greenville, NC 27858-4353