Admission to the Honors College at East Carolina University is competitive and by invitation only. Students wishing to be considered for admission into the Honors College or any of its programs first need to meet minimum eligibility criteria to receive an invitation to apply:
- Submit a completed application for undergraduate admission to East Carolina University by the deadline of November 15. A completed application includes high school transcripts and test scores.
- Meet the following minimum criteria within both the standardized test and high school achievement categories:
- Minimum unweighted GPA of 3.5 and/or minimum weighted GPA of 4.0
- Minimum mathematics/critical reading combined score of 1270 on the new SAT (or 1200 on the old SAT) or minimum ACT composite score of 27
Notes regarding standardized tests
- Super-scoring is acceptable for the ACT. Super-scoring is acceptable for the SAT but can only be completed within the same SAT version and not between old and new SATs.
- Test score eligibility will be assessed based on scores received by ECU as of November 15, 2017. Due to the timeline employed by College Board and ACT, we are unable to guarantee receipt of scores from any exams after October 2, 2017 to determine Honors College eligibility.
Students who meet the above criteria will receive an invitation by mail within the ECU acceptance packet to complete the Honors College application online through ECUAWard. The postmarked deadline for submitting the completed Honors College application and all associated materials is December 8. The Honors College acknowledges receipt of completed Honors College applications online through ECUAWard.
Completing the Honors College application is not binding. If selected as part of the Honors College, students have until May 1, 2018 to enroll and make their decision.
Honors College Admissions Timeline for the Fall 2018 Entering Class
- September 1, 2017: ECU undergraduate admissions application opens.
- November 15, 2017: ECU undergraduate admissions application deadline for Honors College eligibility. A completed ECU undergraduate admissions application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on this date to be eligible to be invited to complete the Honors College online application. High school transcripts and test scores must be received by this deadline as well.
- December 8, 2017: Honors College application deadline for invited students. The Honors College application and all associated materials must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
- January 31, 2018: Targeted notification date for Honors College admission decisions and finalist decisions for EC Scholars and Early Assurance Programs.
- February 18, 2018: Selection Sunday for finalists invited to compete for EC Scholars.
- February 28, 2018: Targeted notification date for all award decisions for EC Scholars and Early Assurance Programs.
- March 24, 2018: Honors College Preview Day for all students admitted to the Honors College to include interviews for finalists invited to compete for Early Assurance Programs.
- April 15, 2018: Enrollment deposit deadline for students offered EC Scholars awards, and Early Assurance Programs.
- May 1, 2018: Enrollment deposit deadline for Chancellor's and Centennial Fellows.
- June 2018: Summer Orientation (required of incoming Honors students)
- June and July 2018: Honors College Kickoff Events (optional to incoming Honors students)
Attention Prospective Nursing Students: Applicants interested in applying to the East Carolina University College of Nursing prior to achieving junior status at ECU will score an extra point on the College of Nursing application for their affiliation to the Honors College. This extra point can prove most valuable given the competitive selection process employed by the College of Nursing.