ECU Language Exchange
Welcome to ECU’s Language Exchange program! Would you like to develop your language skills or learn a new language? The ECU Office of International Affairs hopes you’re excited about getting involved, practicing your language skills, and getting to know someone from a different culture. This program is intended for ECU students, faculty, and staff and includes all foreign languages, not just traditional languages taught on campus.
The goals of the program are as follows:
- To increase your language skills through language exchange. Half of the time you should speak your native language and the other half you should speak your partner’s language
- To facilitate intercultural understanding between you and your partner in a relaxed atmosphere
It is important to understand the following about the program:
- To learn more about your language partner’s culture and interests, share aspects of your own, and hopefully develop lasting friendships!
- These meetings are to be informal and are not seen as a class or tutoring session
- It is up to you and your partner to find a time to meet and communicate with each other.
- This is NOT the responsibility of ECU International Affairs
- If the language exchange relationship does not seem to be working for any reason, please do not hesitate to contact International Affairs and request another language partner
- There is no guarantee that a language exchange partner can be matched, but the Office of International Affairs will do its best to find a suitable exchange
How to apply:
Special note: This program is open to all levels of language learners, including beginners. However, you may feel more comfortable with at least a basic knowledge of your foreign language.
- Please fill out the Online form to apply for the Language Exchange Program. Once the Office of International Affairs receives your information and you are matched, we will send you an email with the contact information of your partner. It’s then your responsibility to contact your partner and set up a time to meet!
For more information, please contact the Office of International Affairs.
Thanks! Merci! Gracias! Danke!