How to Receive Education Benefit Payments

  • Be admitted to the university and officially registered for courses. To apply to ECU you can visit:
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. This is not required, but can hinder Chapter 33 or Post 9/11 students if you do not submit one.
  • Read, sign and return the Information for Veterans and Dependents document. This document is provided to explain the guidelines and responsibilities for receiving payments from the VA and should only be submitted before your initial enrollment certification.
  • Complete and submit the East Carolina Request for Benefits Form.

After completion, all documents may be emailed, faxed or mailed to the ECU Veterans Affairs Office:

East Carolina University
Office of Veteran Affairs
Brewster D 107 A
Mail Stop 136
Greenville, NC 27858

Continuing Students

If you have been receiving VA benefit payments at ECU, you will only need to submit the East Carolina Request for Benefits form each semester.

New Transfer Students

If you have used VA educational benefits at a previous college you must complete a Change of Place of Training Form (22-1995 for Ch. 33, 30 or 1606 benefits) (22-5495 for Ch. 35 benefits) to transfer your benefits to ECU.