Applying to Serve on Shelton Staff
The Shelton Challenge @ ECU has a three-person staffing model: Peer Leader, Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT), and Facilitator/Instructor.
- The Peer Leader position is available to youth who have previously attended the Shelton Challenge and have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- The CMT position is available to youth who have previously served as a Peer Leader for at least two years or students who have at least completed his or her first year in college.
- The Facilitator/Instructor position is available to adults who have a passion to work with youth and college students instructing with a collaborative experiential pedagogy model.
The 2013 Shelton Challenge @ ECU Staff applications are now available. You can also download applications below.
Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT) Application
Peer Leader Application
Peer Leader Reference Form
- Application deadline for positions is February 15. If you submit your application by email, you should receive an email confirming receipt of the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 252-737-1349. We will do our best to send a confirmation email to individuals who send applications through the mail.
- Those applying to serve as a Peer Leader or CMT will participate in an on-site exercise (very similar to the leadership reaction exercises we have during the week experience). We will identify one Peer Leader applicant to serve as the leader for the team they are assigned and two CMT applicants to observe and process the team activity. Instructors will serve as evaluators during the activities for the selection process. More information to follow.
- If you are not able to participate in the staff selection exercise, you are still eligible. However, it is very helpful for us to be able to observe how you have continued to develop your leadership skills since the summer.
Individuals applying to serve as a Facilitator/Instructor will be individually contacted on an ongoing basis upon receipt of application.
- All applicants will be notified of their status for the position by the end of March.
- Those who are offered to serve in a staff position for 2013 will need to notify us of accepting the position by the beginning of April.
- The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU will be July 21-26, 2013 with staff training in April/May (TBD) and July 20. If selected for a staff position, both staff training sessions will be required.