Click on the Icon above to be Routed to Information About Parking Adjustments due to the Construction of the New Student Center and Parking Deck
Everyone has the right to appeal. Appeals are allowed within 10 business days of receiving the citation before the window to appeal is closed. Everyone will need to go to the same website to complete the online appeal process: Please click on the 'Pirate Port' link to your right. The steps, however, are different from what ECU Faculty/Staff/Students must do and what visitors/guests of the university must do. Paper appeals can be completed in our office when the Internet service is unavailable.
- Type your PirateID and passphrase in the appropriate boxes once Pirate Port pops up
- Click on the Tools tab or on the little car icon in the purple navigation bar at the top
- If you click on the Tools tab, then click on the Parking & Transportation link under the Applications section
- Under Your Parking Account, click on the option to "Appeal citations"
- Enter information from ticket and click "Search"
- Once the ticket pops up, click on it and enter all information that's prompted for you to enter
- Follow this link: To create a Guest Account
- Once the website pops up under the Guest Login, the first little paragraph you see in italics will give two options highlighted in purple: create one and retrieve your lost information
- Click on the appropriate link for your needs
- If creating a new account, click on create one and create a unique user id for yourself and fill all your information out; click "Create account"
- Do not click on the "Home" button. Instead, click on the Proceed to log into your new account
- Enter your password and click "Log In" (the user id you created should automatically pop up in the user id box)
- Towards the middle of the screen under Parking Main, the fourth link down is the option to "Appeal Citation", click on it and follow it through
**Note: If you do not receive an appeal confirmation receipt shortly after submitting the payment, then it did not go through.
Under normal circumstances, you will receive a judgment decision within 2-3 business days via the email you provided after submitting the appeal. If no email is provided, then a letter will be mailed. The following is a list/explanation of the appeal judgment decisions that you will see after an appeal has been processed:
- Appeal Denied - Citation Upheld: appeal was denied and the citation still has to be paid by the date shown below the amount due or a late fee will be added on
- Appeal Upheld - Citation Dismissed: appeal was approved and no further action is needed; if the appeal is granted, but the appellant prepaid the citation, a refund check will be issued and received within 3 to 4 weeks
- Fine Reduced - Unpaid/Paid: the citation's fine has been reduced and any remaining balance is due if not already paid; if prepaid, then a refund check will be issued and received within 3 to 4 weeks.
Parking Citation Appeals Committee
The Parking Citation Appeals Committee serves as a mediator between Parking and Transportation and individuals that dispute appeal decisions that have been made by Parking and Transportation. Parking and Transportation affords every person the opportunity to appeal up to four citations they have received in an academic year.
Individuals complete the appeal online via Pirate Port and it is forwarded to Parking and Transportation's appeals coordinator. An appeal decision is based upon information the individual states in the appeal, the individuals' parking history and the number of times Parking and Transportation has addressed the same violation with the individual. Should an individual wish to dispute an appeal decision that was made by Parking and Transportation, they may request in writing to appear before the Citation Appeals Committee. An email can be sent to email@example.com. The Citation Appeals Committee acts as a mediator between the individual and Parking and Transportation. They review the initial appeal, the appeal decision that was made by Parking and Transportation and hear any additional information from the appellant. Based on the information they receive, the Citation Appeals Committee renders a final decision on the appeal.
If Parking and Transportation is uncomfortable making a decision on an appeal, they may present it to the committee to render a decision without the individual present. This may occur when an individual has been excessively hostile either in person or in the written appeal.
Committee members represent diverse areas of the campus community and contribute viewpoints from their perspective. The committee members include:
- four faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate,
- two staff members appointed by the Staff Senate,
- one staff or faculty member appointed by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences,
- one student who lives on-campus appointed by the staff/faculty advisor of the Resident Hall Association, and
- one student who lives off-campus appointed by the staff/faculty advisor of the Student Government Association.
Please note that only two faculty members are required to attend each meeting. Members are appointed to a one year term. Meetings are held twice a month during the Fall and Spring semesters. No formal minutes are kept for these meetings. The appeals coordinator maintains a Citation Appeals Committee Meeting Record (form) of the decisions that the Citation Appeals Committee has made, along with any information that was presented to the appeals committee. In order to maintain privacy of the individual, no copies of any information given to the Citation Appeals Committee for review are kept by committee members. This information is filed in the appeals coordinators' office in the Parking and Transportation Services building.
**The decision rendered by the Citation Appeals Committee is final. Failure to appear at the scheduled time before the Committee will result in an automatic final denial decision. If a reschedule of an appellant is necessary, then the appellant needs to notify the appeals coordinator via email. Only one reschedule is permitted.