Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences



Q1.  What are the roles and responsibilities of personnel?

The Office of Research has developed two documents that identify the roles and responsibilities of individuals associated with sponsor programs.

Roles and Responsibilities Matrix

Q2. What is RAMSeS and why do we use it?

RAMSeS is the Research Administration Management System and eSubmission [portal]. The PI is required to set up a RAMSeS file and populate it with the required components of the grant application in advance of the grant proposal deadline. A proposal cannot be submitted without a RAMSeS file approved in advance of the submission. OSP retrieve final grant application packets from RAMSeS to submit to a sponsor either through, Fastlane, or other electronic submission portal. Email is an electronic submission.

In 2010, RAMSeS replaced the hard copy Internal Processing Form (IPF). The RAMSeS portal allows PIs to establish a secure, robust online electronic file of record of an OSP approved proposal submission. When an award is issued, e.g., when the National Endowment for the Humanities or the National Science Foundation or the NCBC or the NIH, grant an award to the proposal submitted, the RAMSeS file opens up as an award-to-close out file. 

RAMSeS Guidelines are available here.

Q3.  How far in advance do I need to submit my RAMSeS file?

The proposal submission  requirements of the University present different submission guidelines for individual, multiple-site internal and multiple-site external submissions.  Please ensure that you follow the requirements that fit with your submission. 

Q4.  Do pre-proposals or letters of intent need to be routed through RAMSeS approvals?

The answer is yes or no depending on whether or not the sponsor requires a budget and/or a match.  A RAMSeS file is not required for letters of intent or for preliminary proposals for those sponsors that do not require match or a budget as part of the letter of intent or pre-application package.

Q5.  I received an award notification and I have subcontractors on my budget, what happens next?

After a grant has been accepted and established, it is the responsibility of the PI to initiate the Subaward Process. This process is initiated by referring here:

Q6. I want to make modifications to an existing sub-award contract agreement, what are the steps?

Sub-award modifications are required for the following instances:

  • To add a new year of funding to an existing/current subcontract
  • To add additional funding to an existing agreement
  • To grant a no-cost extension to an existing sub-recipient
  • To remove funding from an existing sub-recipient (e.g., who you've been sub-contracting with)

To initiate a request for modification to an existing sub-award, refer here: