RMM Phase II Announcements:
Phase II 2012-2013 Soil Fumigant Label Changes
Qualitative Respirator Fit Test Training. View flier. Pre-registration required.
- 3/22/13 9am-1pm Jackson County Cooperative Extension
Respirator Fit Test Events. Pre-registration required.
- None at this time: check back soon!
If you are interested in hosting a qualitative respirator fit test training or a respirator fit test event, please contact Barb Gallagher RN by phone at 252.744.1009 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . If outside 252 area code call 1.855.AGR.ISAF (1.855.247.4723). A list of interested counties\locations will be compiled and trainings scheduled based on priority listing. See our calendar for more upcoming events.
About RMM Phase II
We are pleased to share that the NC Tobacco Trust Fund has awarded the NC Agromedicine Institute $125,000 to continue assisting farms across our state over the next 2 years with implementation of the EPA's Phase II risk mitigation measures for soil fumigants. This award will provide funding to:
- Train farms how to perform qualitative fit testing, required record keeping, & selection/fit of respirators (registration regularly: $150; registration cost share: $75)
- Provide farms completing training with qualitative fit test kit (retail cost: ~$353.00; with special vendor pricing, farms pay ~100.00); farms will pay cost share portion of registration & fit test kit at time of training; checks or cash to ECU
- Conduct six respirator fit test events; cost for fit test & medical clearance will be $35.00 each ($70.00 total) per person if medical clearance completed on-line with the EI group; farms will pay EI directly for services and can apply for cost share funds for 50% of cost until cost share are exhausted (see above)
- Print & distribute buffer zone & treated area signs
- Further develop Fit-to-Farm modules & training delivery; Fit-to-Farm is a new program developed as a result of the need to ensure that individuals using respiratory protection are as fit as possible to reduce the effects of heat-related illness & other adverse cardiac events . A model showing the relationships between heat, personal protective equipment (PPE) use, and health was developed in conjunction with the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health as a result of joint findings relative to compromised health/wellness of farmers and NC being #1 in the nation for heat-related deaths
Need to locate a local provider for respirator fit testing and/or medical clearance? Click here