Associate Dean for Research
Chair, Foundational Sciences
2151 Ledyard E. Ross Hall
Barriers to access to oral health care for special needs patients, epidemiology of craniofacial pain, oral complications of immunosuppression and cancer therapies, clinical sequelae of tissue injury and interaction of the inflammatory response and nervous system in pain and wound healing, local anesthesia
Diplomate (Specialty Certification), American Board of Dental Public Health; Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry; Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart Association, Basic Life Support
American Dental Association
International and American Association of Dental Research
American Association of Public Health Dentistry
Association of University TMD and Orofacial Pain Programs
American Association of Women Dentists
Academy of General Dentistry
Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
International Association for the Study of Pain
Dr. Gordon serves as the inaugural Associate Dean for Research and Chair of Foundational Sciences at the ECU School of Dental Medicine. She earned a DDS from University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School at San Antonio and completed a two-year general practice residency at Medical Center Hospital in San Antonio. She earned a Master of Public Health in Epidemiology in 1997 and PhD in Clinical Investigation in 2003 from Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Gordon was previously professor at University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Baltimore, where she was Director of Graduate Research and Training. Prior to her tenure as professor of University of Maryland, she served as an intramural scientist and directed research training at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
For more than two decades, first at NIH and then at the University of Maryland, Dr. Gordon has focused on workforce development with special emphasis on research training for clinicians. Her research interest is injury and interaction of the inflammatory response and nervous system in pain and wound healing.
As Associate Dean for Research, Gordon’s experiences align with the School of Dental Medicine’s philosophy. She uses an interdisciplinary team approach in research and teaching, as exemplified by her work to create an NIH-funded case-based educational program of pain management using an inter-professional approach to diagnosing and managing pain. She uses her clinical research and educational experience to teach students about the relationships between patient care and research.
1. Hersh EV, Ciancio SG, Kuperstein KS; Stoopler ET, Moore PA, Boynes SG, Levine SC, Casamassimo P, Levya R, Mathew T, Shibly O, Creighton P, Jeffers G, Corby P MA, Turetzky SN, Pappas A, Wallen J, Idzik-Starr C, Gordon SM. Efficacy, Tolerability and Label Compliance of Topical 10% and 20% Benzocaine Gels in Patients With Acute Toothache. J Am Dent Assoc 2013;144(5):517-526.
2. Kim H, Gordon SM, Dionne RA. Genome-wide approaches (GWA) in oral and craniofacial diseases research. Oral Diseases, Aug 2012, DOI: 10.1111/j.1601-0825.2012.01962.x
3. Ebersole JL, R. D’Souza R, Gordon SM, and Fox C. Oral Health Disparities and the Future Face of America. J Dent Res, 91(11):997-1002, 2012. DOI:10.1177/0022034512462034.
4. St John L, Gordon SM, Childs R, Marquesen M, Pavletic SZ, Su TX, Cozzarelli T, Schroeder E, Saria MG, Fall-Dickson JM. Topical Thalidomide Gel in Oral Chronic GVHD and Role of in situ Cytokine Expression in Monitoring Biological Activity. Bone Marrow Trans. 2012; doi:10.1038/bmt.2012.178.
5. Viswanath A and Gordon SM. Two Cases of Oromandibular Dystonia. Grand Rounds 2012; 12:1-5 (DOI 10.1102/1470-5206.2012.0001).
6. Ohrbach R, Fillingham RB, Mulkey F, Gonzalez Y, Gordon SM, Gremillion H, Lim P-F, Ribeiro-Dasilva M, Greenspan J, Knott C, Maixner W, Slade GD. Clinical Findings and Pain Symptoms as Potential Risk Factors for Chronic TMD: Descriptive Data and Empirically Identified Domains: from the OPPERA Case-Control Study. J Pain 2011 (12 Suppl 3); 27-45.
7. Slade GD, Bair E, By K, Mulkey F, Baraian C, Rothwell R, Reynolds M, Gonzalez Y, Gordon SM, Riberiro-Dasilva M, Lim P-F, Greenspan J, Dubner R, Fillingham RB, Diatchenko L, Maixner W, Dampier D, Knott C, Ohrbach R. Study Methods, Recruitment, Socio-demographic Findings and Demographic Generalizability in the OPPERA Study. J Pain 2011 (12 Suppl 3); 12-26.
8. Gonzalez Y, Schiffman E, Gordon SM, Seago B, Truelove E, Slade G, Ohrbach R. Development of a Brief and Effective Temporomandibular Disorder Pain Screening Questionnaire: Reliability and Validity. J Am Dent Assoc., 2011;142;1183-1191.
9. Epstein JB, Hong CC, Logan RM, Barasch A, Gordon SM, Oberlee-Edwards L, McGuire D, Napenas JJ, Elting LS, Spijkervet FKL, Brennan MT. A Systematic Review of Orofacial Pain in Patients Receiving Cancer Therapy. Support. Care Cancer, online, 11 June 2010 (DOC 10.1007/s00520-010-0897-7).
10. Fall-Dickson JM, Mitchell SA, Marden S, Ramsay ES, Guadagnini J-P, Wu T, St. John L, Pavletic SZ and The NIH Chronic Graft-vs-Host Disease Study Group. Oral Symptom Intensity, Health-Related Quality of Life, and Correlative Salivary Cytokines in Adult Survivors of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation with Oral Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease. Biol Bone Marrow Transplant 2010; 16:948-956.
11. Gordon SM, Coletti D, Laska G, Schmidt W, Robbins W. Activation of P-glycoprotein Efflux Transport Ameliorates Opioid CNS Effects Without Diminishing Analgesia. Drug Discovery Today; doi: 10.1016/j.ddstr.2009.04.003.
12. Tavares M, Goodson JM, Studen-Pavlovich D, Yagiela JA, Navalta LA, Rogy S, Rutherford B, Gordon SM, Papas AS, and the Soft Tissue Anesthesia Reversal Group. J Am Dent Assoc 2008; 139: 1095-1104.
13. Hersh EV, Moore PA, Papas AS, Goodson JM, Navalta LA, Rogy S, Rutherford B, Yagiela JA, and the Soft Tissue Anesthesia Recovery Group. Reversal of Soft-Tissue Local Anesthesia With Phentolamine Mesylate in Adolescents and Adults. J Am Dent Assoc 2008; 139: 1080-1093.
14. Wang XM, Hamza M, Gordon SM, Wahl SM, Dionne RA. COX Inhibitors Downregulate PDE4D Expression in a Clinical Model of Inflammatory Pain. Clin Pharm Ther 2008; 84:39-42.
15. Warren CA, Mok LP, Gordon SM, Fouad AF, Gold MS. Quantification of Neural Protein in Extirpated Tooth Pulp. J Endodon 2008; 34(1): 7-10.