Research Professor email@example.com 252-744-2108 4256 Ledyard E. Ross Hall
Clinical InterestsPharmacologic management of dental fear/anxiety, pharmacologic management of acute and chronic pain, biomarkers of pain and analgesia
Board CertificationsEditing and Publications, Georgetown University 1989
EducationPhD - Medical College of VirginiaMS - Georgetown University DDS - Georgetown University School of Dentistry BA - University of Connecticut
Society Memberships/Professional MembershipsAmerican / International Association for Dental ResearchAmerican Dental AssociationAmerican Academy of Pain Medicine
Biographical InformationDr. Dionne’s career includes more than 20 years of private practice experience and over 30 years of clinic research. He was an investigator in the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research for 25 years, where he also served as Chief of the Pain and Neurosensory Mechanisms Branch and Clinical Director and there received two NIH Director’s Awards. He was also a Scientific Director for the National Institute of Nursing Research. Dr. Dionne has taught for over 40 years in areas related to pain, pain and anxiety management, and pharmacology.
Publications1. Hersh EV, Dionne RA, Moore PA. Do dentists prescribe too many opioid-containing drugs? Compendium 2017; 38:74-76.
2. Dionne, RA. Raise the bar for safe sedation not barriers for access to care. JADA 2017; 148:133-137.
3. Edwards RR, Dworkin RH, Turk DC, Angst MS, Dionne RA, et al. Patient phenotyping in analgesic clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain, 157(9):1851-1871.
4. Dionne RA. Proposed guideline revisions for dental sedation/general anesthesia: Why target the safest level of sedation? Compendium Cont Educ Dentistry 2016; 37:546-552.
5. Williams MR, Ward DS, Carlson D, Cravero J, Dexter F, Dionne RA et al. Evaluating Efficacy in Clinical Trials of Procedural Sedation: Sedation Consortium on Endpoints and Procedures for Treatment, Education and Research (SCEPTER) Recommendations, Anesthesia Analgesia 2017; 124: 821-830.
6. Clark GT, Padilla M, Dionne R. Medication Treatment Efficacy and Chronic Orofacial Pain. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2016 Aug;28(3):409-421.
7. Merrill RL, Dionne RA. Medications for Management of Chronic, Non-Odontogenic Pain. In, Dowd, Johnson, Mariotti and Neidle (Eds.) Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry, 7th Edition, Mosby 2017; 564-574.
8. Dionne RA, Hersh EV. Nonopioid analgesics. In, Dowd, Johnson, Mariotti and Neidle (Eds.) Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry, 7th Edition, Mosby 2017; 257-275.
9. Moore PA, Hersh EV, Dionne RA, Cooper SA. Why do we prescribe Vicodin? JADA 2016; 147(7):530-533.
10. Dionne RA, Gordon SM, Moore PA. Prescribing opioid analgesics for acute dental pain: Time to change clinical practices in response to evidence and misperceptions. Compendium 2016; 37:372-378.
11. Dionne RA. Breaking down barriers to care with effective pain management. Compendium 2016; 37:346-348.
12. Cooper S, Desjardins P, Turk DC, Dworkin RH, Katz NP, Kehlet H, Ballantyne JC. Blum DE, Burke LB, Carragee E, Costello A, Cowan P, Croll S, Dionne RA et al. Research design considerations for single-dose analgesic clinical trials in acute pain: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain 2016; 157:288-301.
13 Dionne RA, Moore PA. Opioid prescribing in dentistry: Keys for safe and proper usage. Compendium 2016; 37: 2-6.
14. Dionne RA, Gordon SM, Cooper SA. Use of ibuprofen in dentistry. In, Ibuprofen: Discovery, Development and Therapeutics. KD Rainsford (Ed.), John Wiley & Sons, London, 2015, pp. 346-362.
15. Dionne RA, Gordon SM. Changing paradigms for acute dental pain: Prevention is better than PRN. California Dental Journal 2015, in press.
16. Dionne RA, Moore PM. Opioid prescribing in dentistry. CDE World 2015. http://dentalaegis.com/go/opioid
17. Cooper S, Desjardins P, Turk DC, Dworkin RH, Katz NP, Kehlet H, Ballantyne JC. Blum DE, Burke LB, Carragee E, Costello A, Cowan P, Croll S, Dionne RA et al. Research design considerations for single-dose analgesic clinical trials in acute pain: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain 2015, submitted for publication.
18. Dionne RA, Gordon SM, Cooper SA. Use of ibuprofen in dentistry. In, Ibuprofen: Discovery, Development and Therapeutics. KD Rainsford (Ed.), John Wiley & Sons, London, 2015, pp 346-362.
19. Gewandter JS, Dworkin RH, Turk DC, McDermott MP, Peirce-Sander S, Baron R, Gastonguay M, Gilron I, Katz NP, Mehta C, Raja SN, Senn S, Taylor C, Costello A, Cowan P, Desjardins P, Dimitrova R, Dionne RA et al. Research design from proof-of-concept chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain 2014; 155(9): 1683-95.
20. Cairns BE, Gordon SM, Dionne RA. Pharmacological Advances in Orofacial Pain Management. In, Orofacial Pain: Recent Advances in Assessment, Management and Understanding of Mechanisms. Sessle BJ (Ed.): IASP Press, 2015
21. Saligan LN, Hsiao C-P, Wang D, Wang XM, Kaushal A, Citrin D, Barb JJ, Munson P, Dionne RA. Up-regulation of ?-synuclein during localized radiation therapy signals the association of cancer related fatigue with the activation of inflammatory and neuroprotective pathways. Brain, Behavior and Immunity 2013; 27:63-70.