Department Chair, Surgical Sciences
Assistant Dean for Academic Success
3113 Ledyard E. Ross Hall
Novel diagnostic, preventive and therapeutic interventions for periodontal disease; clinical trials, design and statistical considerations; associations of periodontal disease with cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity
Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
BS - Boston College
DMD - Harvard University
MPH - Harvard University
DMSc - Harvard University
American Academy of Periodontology
American Dental Association
American Dental Education Association
International/American Association for Dental Research
Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
Dr. Paquette is appointed professor and chair of the Department of Surgical Sciences at the ECU School of Dental Medicine. The interdisciplinary department includes the specialty areas of endodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontology and emergency dentistry. Dr. Paquette has previously held faculty and administrative positions at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Stony Brook University. For over twenty years, Dr. Paquette has been dedicated to teaching the next generation of dental professionals and leaders. He maintains an active research program focused on periodontal disease epidemiology, risk factors and interventions. At the national level, Dr. Paquette serves on committees with several organizations including the Commission on Dental Accreditation, the American Academy of Periodontology and the American Dental Education Association. He also serves as an Associate Editor with the Journal of Periodontology.
1. Paquette DW, Wilder RS, Bell KP, Phillips C, Offenbacher S. Dentists’ knowledge and opinions of oral-systemic disease relationships: relevance to patient care and education. J Dent Educ 2015;79:626-635.
2. Michalowicz BS, Hyman L, Hou W, Oates TW, Reddy MS, Paquette D, Katancik JA, Engebretson SP, DPTT Study Team. Factors associated with periodontal treatment response in adults with diabetes. J Am Dent Assoc 2015;145:1227-1239.
3. Engebretson SP, Michalowicz BS, Seaquist ER, Reddy M, Lewis CE, Oates T, Tripathy D, Katancik J, Orlander PR, Paquette D, Gelato MC, Hanson NQ, Tsai MY, Hou W, Schoenfeld ER, Hyman L. Effect of non-surgical periodontal therapy on hemoglobin A1c in persons with type 2 diabetes and chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2013;310:2523-2532.
4. Kumarswamy A, Everett E, Padilla R, Paquette D, Moretti A, Nares S. In vivo assessment of osseous wound healing using a bone putty in surgical management of tooth extractions. Int J Dent 2012;2012:894815.
5. Bell KP, Phillips C, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, Wilder RS. Dental hygienists' knowledge and opinions of oral-systemic connections: implications for education. J Dent Educ 2012;76:682-94.
6. Bell KP, Phillips C, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, Wilder RS. Incorporating oral-systemic evidence into patient care: practice behaviors and barriers of North Carolina dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg 2011;85:99-113.
7. Zhang S, Crivello A, Offenbacher S, Moretti A, Paquette DW, Barros SP. Interferon-gamma promoter hypomethylation and increased expression in chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2010;37:953-961.
8. Kourkouta S, Dedi KD, Paquette DW, Mol A. Interproximal tissue dimensions in relation to adjacent implants in the anterior maxilla: clinical observations and patient aesthetic evaluation. Clin Oral Implants Res 2009;20:1375-1385.
9. Offenbacher S, Barros SP, Paquette DW, Winston JL, Biesbrock AR, Thomason RG, Gibb RD, Chen K, Fulmer A, Wang S, Tiesman JP, Juhlin KD, Reichling T, Ho B. Gingival transcriptome patterns during induction and resolution of experimental gingivitis in humans. J Periodontol 2009;80:190-201.
10. Offenbacher S, Beck JD, Moss K, Mendoza L, Paquette DW, Barrow DA, Couper DJ, Stewart DD, Falkner KL, Graham SP, Grossi S, Gunsolley JC, Madden T, Maupome G, Trevisan M, Van Dyke TE, Genco RJ. Results from the periodontitis and vascular events (PAVE) study: a pilot multicentered, randomized, controlled trial to study effects of periodontal therapy in a secondary prevention model of cardiovascular disease. J Periodontol 2009;80:190-201.
11. Wilder RS, Iacopino A, Feldman CA, Guthmiller J, Linfante J, Lavigne S, Paquette D. Periodontal-systemic disease education in United States and Canadian dental schools. J Dent Educ 2009;73:38-52.
12. Li J, Barrow DA, Tallury P, Paquette DW, Kalachandra S. Comparison of the drug delivery properties of different biocompatible polymer-matrix materials with potential as intra-oral devices. Dent Mater 2008;15:7-9.
13. Bhatavadekar N, Paquette DW. Long-term follow-up and tomographic assessment of infrabony defect treated with enamel matrix derivative. J Periodontol 2008;79:1802-1808.
14. Geissberger MJ, Jain P, Kluemper GT, Paquette DW, Roeder LB, Scarfe WC, Potter BJ. Realigning biomedical science instruction in predoctoral curricula: a proposal for change. J Dent Educ 2008;72:135-141.
15. Cooper LF, Ellner S, Moriarty J, Felton DA, Paquette D, Molina A, Chaffee N, Asplund P, Smith R, Hostner C. Three-year evaluation of single-tooth implants restored 3 weeks after 1-stage surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2007;22:791-800.
16. Paquette DW, Brodala N, Nichols T. Cardiovascular disease, inflammation and periodontal infection. Periodontol 2000 2007;44:113-126.