Mission, Vision, and Values
Improving the health and quality of life of all North Carolinians by creating leaders with a passion to care for the underserved and by leading the nation in community-based, service learning oral health education.
The mission of the East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine is to:
- Prepare leaders with outstanding clinical skills, an ethical bearing, sound judgment, and a passion to serve.
- Provide educational opportunities for academically qualified individuals from historically underrepresented groups, disadvantaged backgrounds, and underserved areas.
- Provide and enhance oral health services for underserved North Carolinians through implementation of community-oriented service learning and interprofessional collaborations.
- Foster a learning environment where collaboration, creativity, diversity and professionalism are embraced.
- Influence future clinical practice and dental education through research, innovation and discovery.
- Set the highest standard in achievement and performance
- Delight all those we serve
- Realize our full potential through continuous self-assessment and lifelong learning
- Demonstrate responsibility, initiative, and accountability
- Seek collaborations to make transformative change
- Promote resourcefulness and stewardship
- Promote the highest ideals of our profession
- Demonstrate integrity and the courage to do what is right
- Model ethical behavior, using trust, fairness, and honesty
- Show compassion in all interactions
- Contribute to the betterment of society
- Embrace the value and strength of diversity
- Build trust within our relationships and among all constituencies
Commitment to Diversity
The ECU School of Dental Medicine’s vision, mission and values underscore the alignment of the School’s commitment to diversity with the University Definition of Diversity, Diversity Goal and Diversity Vision. The School of Dental Medicine is committed to building and sustaining a collaborative professional community of students, residents, staff and faculty who reflect the diversity of our State.