Friends of Laupus Library East Carolina University
Constitution and By-Laws
Article I. Name
The name of the organization shall be Friends of Laupus Library at East Carolina University, hereafter referred to as the Friends.
Article II. Mission and Vision
- The mission of the Friends shall be to provide support and advocacy for the Laupus Library, the Country Doctor Museum, the Health Sciences community, and East Carolina University through participation in Friends programs, special events, and awareness activities.
- The vision of the Friends shall be to learn about, support, and share the mission of the Laupus Library and its services with citizens of Eastern North Carolina and beyond.
Article III. Membership
- Regular membership shall be open to individuals, organizations, businesses and institutions, with contributing annual dues as set by the Board of Directors. Each membership shall coincide with the calendar year, shall be entitled to one vote and shall carry the benefits and responsibilities of the Friends.
- Honorary lifetime membership may be awarded to individuals whose contributions, activities and support have significantly enhanced the Friends. Honorary membership carries all the rights and responsibilities of regular membership. This honor does not include board membership; however, honorary lifetime members may be elected to the board.
Article IV. Meetings
- The annual meeting of the membership shall be held during the spring semester. The purpose of the meeting shall be for the election of officers, members of the Board of Directors and for the transaction of other business of the Friends.
- Ten percent (10%) of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
Article V. Officers, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- The officers of the Friends shall be: Board chair, Board chair-elect, secretary, treasurer, and immediate past Board chair. One or more staff members may be appointed by the Director of Laupus Library to serve as logistical liaison between the Friends and the Laupus Library. Those appointed by the Director are non-voting members.
- The officers shall be elected to serve for one year or until their successors are elected. Their term of office shall coincide with the calendar year.
- All officers of the Board of Directors shall be nominated from the entire Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall be comprised of no less than fifteen (15) and no more than thirty (30) members to serve a term of three years. A board member may not serve more than three consecutive terms for a total of nine years. They shall be elected by a majority of those present and voting at the annual meeting. The term of office shall coincide with the academic school year.
- The Board of Directors shall meet on a regular basis, at least semi-annually.
- A simple majority of the board membership shall constitute a quorum.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the Friends, two members of the Board of Directors appointed by the chair, and the Director of Laupus Library as an ex-officio member with voting privileges.
Article VI. Duties of Officers, Board of Directors, and Executive Committee
- The chair shall preside at all meetings of the membership, of the Board of Directors, and of the Executive Committee. The chair shall appoint all standing committees in consultation with the Executive Committee, call meetings of the Executive Committee, and carry out any other duties of the office.
- The chair- elect shall assume all duties of the chair in his/her absence and assist in other duties as needed.The secretary shall notify members of the place and time of meetings, and record and circulate meeting minutes.
- The treasurer shall work with the director of Laupus Library to prepare and regularly present the financial reports to the Board of Directors. He/She shall prepare the annual budget for the Friends to be approved the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall be responsible for making the policies for managing the affairs of the Friends; and shall conduct the business of the Friends between meetings of the membership.
- The Executive Committee shall fill vacancies of unexpired terms of members of the Board of Directors and call meetings of the membership in addition to the annual meeting.
- The Executive Committee may act for the board when it is not meeting. This includes emergency matters or recurring matters that must be disposed of promptly.
Article VII. Committees
- Standing and ad hoc committees shall be appointed by the chair. The chair may consult with the Executive Committee in making these appointments.
- All chairs of standing and ad hoc committees shall be appointed by the chair, with one exception. The immediate past chair shall serve as chair of the nominating committee.
Article VIII. Finances
The Friends are responsible for assisting in the generation of both operating and endowment funds to further the organization’s mission. Accounts will be held at the ECU Medical & Health Sciences Foundation, Inc., and fundraising will be coordinated with them.
- Operating funds: This account is used for functions carried out by the Friends, operational expenses, and board meetings. It may also be used for library improvements and collections enhancement.
- Endowment funds: These funds are to be used for Friends’ projects, such as collection enhancement and library improvement. These accounts are not available for daily operations.
- Final authorization for expenditures against the operating and endowment accounts shall be made by the the Director of Laupus Library.
Article IX. Policies and Procedures
The adopted policies and procedures guide lines more closely define the by-laws of the Friends. They may be changed or amended by the Board of Directors at any scheduled meeting.
Article X. Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern the Friends in all cases to which they are applicable and not inconsistent with this document.
Article XI. Amendments to Constitution and Bylaws
Articles I, II, III and IV may be amended at any regular meeting of the Friends by a two-thirds vote of those present and voting, provided that the amendment(s) has been submitted to the membership in writing two weeks prior to the meeting date.
Articles V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX may be amended at any regular meeting of the Board of Directors by two-thirds vote of those present and voting provided that the amendment(s) has been submitted to the Board of Directors in writing two weeks prior to the meeting date.